Why Galentine’s Day Is Important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Happy Galentine’s Day!  

February 13th is Galentine’s Day, which is a day created in the TV show Parks and Recreation to appreciate your closest female friends. It’s about spending time with the people who make you happy and appreciating the power of women supporting other women. Valentine’s Day can be special for some people, but let’s start a trend of celebrating our best friends, too! So, before you celebrate Valentine’s Day with your special someone, make sure to spend the day before with your closest female friends and let them know how much they mean to you.

A lot of times it only takes a simple small gesture to let someone know that you’re thinking of them and that you care about them. Maybe buy some chocolate to hand out to your closest friends. You could have a girls’ night out or, for something more casual, have a girls’ night in. All you need is some good food and your best friends! Take this time to catch up with each other, because we all know it can be hard to keep up with social lives because of how busy everyone is. This day is the perfect excuse to take some time away from your busy life and relax with your friends. As long as you spend some quality time with your best friends, you’re definitely going to have a special day!

Oftentimes women tend to tear each other down and create unnecessary competition. Women are taught to think of their gender as something that is holding them back. That’s why it’s important to support your women friends in their academics, careers, and personal lives. Just being there for a friend and letting them know that they’re special can brighten their day. Then they can go and brighten someone else’s day, and it can start a chain reaction of positivity! But, this isn’t something that should only be done one day a year. It’s important to support your female friends every day. Let’s start a trend of building up other women, starting with our closest friends. We can take this opportunity to start a society that empowers women, no matter how similar to us they may be or how different from us they may be.  So, take it from our favorite Parks lady, Leslie Knope, and go grab some waffles with your best friends!

Send your ladies some love! Happy Galentine’s Day!

Greta Raser is a sophomore at DePauw University. She is involved in the Environmental Fellows Program, Sustainability Leadership Program, and Timmy Global Health. She is from Cincinnati, OH and enjoys running, hiking, biking and spending time outdoors.