Why Donald Trump Scares Me (As Told by a Collegiate Woman)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.
I’m not one to discuss politics, but when it comes to Donald Trump I cannot stand idly by and watch him become President of the United States without saying something. 

Trump’s treatment of women is something that must be brought up. It cannot go unnoticed and must be discussed. Trump portrays himself as a man who has no issue attacking and degrading the entire female population. One shining example of this is his treatment of Megyn Kelly. He refused to partake in one of the Republican debates because she was the moderator. Kelly previously called out and questioned Trump about some of his misogynistic comments. He did not take kindly to her questioning and retaliated by attacking her, therefore validating her comments. It is instances such as this that show Trump perpetuates sexism in a world where women are constantly fighting for equality. That is not a person we need leading our country. 

While I understand that Trump is greatly influencing the presidential race, I cannot move past his campaign’s embodiment of hate and arrogance. Donald Trump has a way of insulting anyone who does not agree with him. He attacks people’s religion, ethnicity, gender, race and even physical appearances without a second thought. What’s even worse is that the man never apologizes. One example of many occurred at the second GOP debate. Trump criticized Jeb Bush by making an unnecessary comment that specifically attacked Bush’s wife’s nationality. When Bush demanded that Trump apologize to his wife, Trump absolutely refused. I don’t know about you but I knew how to apologize by the age of three and again Donald Trump attacked a woman.

Trump wants to silence the majority of Americans. If you are not a white man or a submissive white woman, then Trump has some kind of issue with you. Clearly, the man was meant to run for President in the early 1800’s, not 2016. This is why we must all go out to the polls this November. Every vote counts, whether it’s for or against him.  

Editor’s Note: This is an opinion article. Opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of Her Campus or Her Campus DePauw.
Lover of gluten-free pizza, Andrew Luck, animals, fuzzy blankets, and anything that sparkles
Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.