This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.
Playlist Made for You

If you have Spotify or Apple Music, the app will generate playlists that are specified to you. I have Spotify, so every week I am given a Discover Weekly playlist with songs that I haven’t downloaded but the app thinks I will like based on my other music. I also get a New Releases playlist every week that shows new songs from the artists that I already have in my liked songs. Spotify also provides Daily Mixes that include songs from my library and songs not in my library but mesh with the vibe of the playlist. Spotify also offers loads of other general playlists that are useful when looking for new songs. I would definitely recommend looking at your Discover Weekly playlist first and then just playing around with the other playlists. 

Friends

Friends are another great resource for finding new songs. You probably have at least one friend whose music taste you really enjoy. My friends and I follow each other on Spotify and also share playlists with each other. This helps me because if I start to get bored of my current playlists I will go check out what my friends are listening to. If your friends don’t have music apps or don’t make playlists, ask them who their favorite artists are. Then just go listen to their music and see if you like them. I definitely recommend doing this as well if you are looking for new music. Some of my favorite songs have been introduced to me by my friends. 

Tik Tok

When I say Tik Tok, I don’t mean like the mainstream Tik Tok songs (even though some of them are very good!). You can basically find any content on Tik Tok, even music content. I have found myself on the music side of Tik Tok before, and it can be really helpful when finding new songs. Some people will talk about their favorite artists or other artists to listen to if you like specific songs. Some people will make Tik Toks about the playlists on their Spotify, making it easy to search the playlist and listen to the music. There are a lot of variations to how these Tik Tokers promote different music, and it is helpful when finding new songs to listen to. 

Radio

This is a more obvious way to find new songs. Although I kinda hate the radio, it is still a good way to find songs. You can also look up radio stations on your computer and listen online instead of in the car. This could also help you find different radios stations that maybe are difficult to listen to in the car. I know my college radio can be listened to online. Sometimes I will pull it up when off campus because the music is more alternative and there aren’t any alternative radio stations I know of near me. 

Use Your Current Songs

By this I mean look at the songs you already like and listen to more songs by that artist. There are many songs that I love that are the only song I have heard from that artist, so sometimes I will look further into that artist’s music. This can be very hit or miss for me personally, it just depends. It is still a good place to start looking for new music. Also, many artists have playlists on their Spotify page and sometimes the songs in the playlist are songs that the artist likes. This can be cool to listen to and could make you feel more connected to the artist if you enjoy the same stuff. 

I totally recommend using any of these methods if you are on the search for new songs! I would also recommend downloading an app that will listen to songs that are playing and tell you what song it is. I have one of these, and it is amazing for the times I am in like a restraint and really enjoy the song playing but do not have a way to ask what song is playing. 

My name is Mallory. I am a Senior sociology major at DePauw University. If you knew me you would know I am really into skeletons and love going to music festivals!
Hi, I'm Katherine! I'm an Anthropology major. I am a member of the Honors Scholar Program, as well as a Bonner Scholar.