This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

About the first week of April, something I’ve been dreading while in college finally came into reality: I became sick. It started out simple. I got a small tickle in my throat on my way back from Spring Break. This small feeling turned into painful coughing all day and being a walking virus for about four to five days before I stopped being contagious (according to the internet). Those two weeks when it all took place were really rough. I had to learn to fend for myself because I did not have my parents taking care of me, and I actually had to move and make myself tea. Here are some tips and what I learned while I was sick.

Defend yourself immediately. As soon as you feel like something is going to strike you like a bus, start fighting it. For me, I drank a lot of water and started drinking medicinal tea. Theraflu was my best friend, and I drank it all the time if I remembered to. Also, DayQuil is a must!

Cough drops. Since I did not beat my cold on the first day, I turned to the thing that actually makes me stop coughing, or as an article I read once described it, “creating my own dubstep music.” I was popping cough drops into my mouth one after the other. It got to a point where I had so many I thought I was going to overdose on them. BTW, according to the internet, I would need about 6,800 cough drops to overdose. (Please do not try that at home, kids.)

It’s going to be disgusting. I don’t mean to be so TMI here, but being sick is gross. I was so congested, and I was a force to be reckoned with. My highlight moments were when I had to blow my nose and thought I blew so hard my head exploded. It was really gross, but I feel like it needs to be talked about.

Let yourself be sick. While I was sick, there were times when all my energy was going away so fast, and I just let it happen. I would try everything to maintain energy but nothing worked. I just sat in bed with water, cough drops and tissues at hand, praying for God to make it go away, but it took a while to get better. In addition to the madness, I had a big paper and test too, but through the power of DayQuil, I got through it.

You might still need your parents. Okay, I did all the heavy lifting, but I would occasionally text my dad for moral support and ask him tips and tricks because he fights off colds like a boss. I needed all the help I could get. Your parents are always there to help you no matter what, even if they are a little bit far away.

Sage is a Psychology major at DePauw to hopefully some day start working with kids. She is part of the Honor Scholar and Bonner Scholar Program. She's in improv club, DPUDM, and the Green Dot Committee. She loves coffee, dogs, and graphic design.
Hi, my name is Bridget! I'm a Peace and Conflict Studies major with Philosophy and Asian Studies minors. I love writing about my friends, personal growth, social justice, and of course, all things Bachelor/Bachelorette!