This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Confused how to show your appreciation for someone? Do you know their love language? The love language quiz reveals which of the 5 languages speaks most to them (https://www.5lovelanguages.com/quizzes/). Knowing which language they hold highest allows you to be able to effectively communicate your care for them, just in time for Valentine’s Day. Here are ideas according to each love language!

Disclaimer: These ideas are all applicable outside of Valentine’s Day!    –

Words of Affirmation:

This love language is all about words to build the person up. For Valentine’s Day, you could write them a nice, heartwarming, written letter. If they are particularly ~soft~, you could profess your love. If they are not so soft, a nice reminder that they’re doing great, and they are valued.

Acts of Service:

Service here means doing something you know they would like. This could include a home cooked, fireside meal, rose petals and all—OR folding their laundry for them. Truly up to the specific person, but ultimately doing something to show your appreciation for them.

Receiving Gifts: 

Gifts could literally mean anything! So here are just some ideas: their favorite candy, homemade card with heart cut outs and all, a framed photo, that 4ft long dog stuffed animal they’ve wanted for weeks. No matter what you give, if this is their love language, a gift will show you were thinking of them. 

Quality Time:

Most important to this love language is to make concrete plans. This could be setting out an hour or two to get dinner and see a movie. It could also be hanging out in your dorm, ordering Marvin’s, and watching YouTube or making TikToks. Crucial to Quality Time is giving the person your full attention when with them.

Physical Touch:

Though self-explanatory, examples of Physical Touch are hugs, kissies, holding hands, etc. Something important to remember in this love language: Physical Touch is whatever that person is comfortable with that you are also down with!

Lindsey is a senior Economics major at DePauw, with a minor in Classical Studies. When she's not doing work, she loves to cuddle up with a blanket and a glass of milk.