This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

This week, I had the chance to catch up with Vy Hoang. Vy is from Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, and is an economics and computer science double major at DePauw. She is also a new contributor to Her Campus.

Her Campus: Hi, Vy! Thanks so much for taking time to meet with me. So, I’m curious, how did you choose to be an economics and computer science double major? In my opinion, those are two of the harder fields to take classes in.

Vy Hoang: Well, I chose economics because I am a Management Fellow at DePauw, so a lot of the required classes are economics classes. My parents are also involved in stocks and trading, so I was inspired by that. I chose computer science because when I was younger, I liked taking things apart and figuring out how they work, and I wanted to view software and computers that way.

HC: What is the hardest thing about being so far from home?

VH: I miss my mom’s food. American food is not my favorite. It also just takes forever to get home—around twenty to forty hour plane ride, depending on layovers.

HC: What kind of things are you involved in on campus?

VH: I am a Management Fellow, which is an honors program that is the closest thing DePauw has to a business school on campus. I was also a dancer for X-Cell and currently involved with Women in Economics and Business, ITAP and now Her Campus.

HC: What is ITAP?

VH: ITAP is a program for students who want to engage in advanced technology and science. It’s my favorite that I am involved in because I have so much freedom to choose what to do and how to do it.

HC: Since you’re also a Management Fellow, do you know where you are doing your Management Fellow internship next year?

VH: I don’t know yet. I am hoping that it ends up being in Indy or Chicago. I want to be somewhere close by school.

HC: Have any of these activities helped you figure out what you want to do after graduation? I know you have two more years, but have you given it any thought?

VH: I don’t know exactly what I want to do yet. Hopefully, I will get to travel around for a few months after graduation. Long term, it would be cool to end up in California, New York or Chicago. I know that I don’t want to go back to school anytime soon after graduation, so I will probably try to work for a while.

HC: That sounds like a good plan to me! Traveling around and then settling down and working in one of those cities would be very cool. Thank you so much for meeting with me, Vy!

Hi, my name is Bridget! I'm a Peace and Conflict Studies major with Philosophy and Asian Studies minors. I love writing about my friends, personal growth, social justice, and of course, all things Bachelor/Bachelorette!