Types of students in Percy L. Julian Science and Mathematics Center

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.
The STEM students

These students basically live in Julian. All their classes are there, they study and do homework there, they often eat there, and some of the most dedicated ones even sleep there. You can always recognize them by the fact that they seem to have the building layout completely memorized and they often argue about who has the hardest major.

The ‘I live in BR’ squad

You know those days when its cold and raining outside, and you really need to study, but you can’t do it in your room because your roomie’s boyfriend is visiting town? For the students that live in Bishop Roberts hall, Julian is the perfect place! Afterall, they only need to cross the road, and they’re practically there.

The group project

Julian is a great study spot in general, but it is especially good for group projects. Without a silence policy, it allows large groups of students to gather and discuss their assignments. These students will often take all the chairs at surrounding tables, spend a few hours ‘working’ on the project, and jointly decided that they need to go to their professor’s office hours for help before they can actually get anything done. 

The lost students

Now I don’t mean literally lost, like when you don’t pay attention to where you’re going, and you find yourself walking into Harrison Hall when your class is actually in Olin. I mean the students who have decided that this semester they will finally fill their science credit requirement, and have now found themselves in a building that is basically a confusing labyrinth of laboratories, with people yelling chemical formulas at each other from one floor to the other. 

The 24h students

Everyone that has ever pulled an all-nighter knows that you do not get kicked out of academic buildings even after they are officially closed. However, if you want to study in a spot designed for disorganized students, the Julian 24h study room behind Prevo Science Library is the place to be. These students appreciate the spot for its silence policy as well–– whether to study in peace, or to take a quick nap. 

The ones passing through

On a cold day, it is often preferrable to walk through buildings than outside. This is how groups of students will find themselves in Julian, just casually passing through on their way to the dorms or Lilly or another destination. Just watch out for random objects being dropped from the floors above you––  physics labs often require multiple tests of gravity. 

Nika Rebec

DePauw '22

Nika is a sophomore at DePauw, double majoring in Biochemistry and Neuroscience. She is originally from Slovenia and moved to the U.S. to attend college. She is on the pre-med track and wishes to continue her education in the United States.
Hi, I'm Katherine! I'm an Anthropology major. I am a member of the Honors Scholar Program, as well as a Bonner Scholar.