Top Five Dogs for First Time Owners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Have you ever seen a dog on campus and thought to yourself, “Wow I really need a dog.” Sadly, with all the homework and lack of disposable income, most of us are not thinking about adopting right now. However, even though we’re still college students, it’s never too early to start planning ahead for a lifetime of happiness.

1. Labrador Retriever

Labrador Retrievers are amazing dogs! Not only are they absolutely adorable as puppies, but they keep their soft and loveable appearance into their old age. Labs are also very loyal; they are quick to trust and stick by their owner’s side unconditionally.

2. Border Collie 

Border collies are great dogs all around. They are super intelligent and learn easily since they are herding dogs by nature. They’re super active but very gentle. Border collies are easy to take care of and will absolutely be your best friend for life.

3. Golden Retriever 

Golden Retrievers are fantastic dogs for first time owners. Retrievers are very obedient, which makes them easy to take care of. They love people and adore socializing with other dogs and animals. If you are looking for a sweet, manageable and loyal buddy, a golden retriever is the dog for you.

4. Boxer Boxers are so much fun! They are super high energy and always want to play. And they can jump really high, so if you love to play Frisbee, this dog will not disappoint. Boxers are also intelligent and pay attention to everything, so they are super easy to train to do tricks.

5. Poodle

Poodles are super easygoing dogs. They are very trainable and faithful to their owner. They also can rock any hairstyle you could possibly imagine, which makes them totally fun to groom. If you want a dog that will be your best friend and your spa buddy, a poodle is the way to go.

Don’t forget, when you adopt a dog, make sure you are fully ready to take care of everything they need. Remember, while they may only be a small part of your life, to them, you are their whole world; their lives revolve around and depend on you.

Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.