Style > Beauty

Tips for Getting Salon Quality Nails at Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

I have been painting my nails about once a week since I was 11. So, I’ve learned a few tips and tricks to do fun designs and get quality results. Now, that everyone is home and all the nail salons are closed, it’s a great time to try some new ideas at home. Even if you aren’t good at painting your nails and you don’t have great equipment you can still get these gorgeous results!  

French Tips

I always loved getting french tips done at a nail salon! Finally, I decided I was going to teach myself how to do it at home. To do this you will just need some polish, a tiny bowl of nail polish remover and a tiny brush. I use an old makeup brush but you can also use a paintbrush as long as its flat at the top and very small. The first step is to just paint the very top of your nail. Don’t worry if it’s not super straight, that is where the brush and acetone come in. The next step is to let it dry for just a minute, and then dip your brush in nail polish remover so you can smooth the bottom edge of your french tip. Then boom! You have beautiful classy french tips! If you want to spice things up then use different colors, instead of just white. 

Dots and Flowers

Now a design like this can feel intimidating, but I promise its not hard. They make dotting tools, which is what I use but if you don’t have one then the dull tip of a pencil also works. All you need to do is put a few drops of polish on a piece of paper in front of you, dip the tip of the pencil in the polish and then dot it on your nails! The flower design below is just six dots and looks amazing! 

Shapes and Lines

I absolutely love this look! It’s so simple and sleek. To do this all you need is some transparent tape. Just stick the tape on to the part of the nail that you don’t want color on and then paint over it. The process is easy and the results are stunning! Plus, you can get super creative with your designs. 

Different Colors 

In the past three years, I have only had my nails painted all the same color a few times. Normally, I choose 10 different colors to paint each finger. The trend now is to pick a color scheme of three to five similar colors. This is easy to do but is way more fun than just picking one color. 

Accent Nail (& Glitter!)

Not sure if accent nails are still “in” but I still love them. This is the trend where you paint one nail, normally your ring figure, a different color. You can just paint it a different color, add some glitter or even do a design! 

Hopefully, this post inspires you to get creative and try these at home designs! 

Hi, I'm Zosha! I'm a senior and I'm also the Senior Editor of the DePauw HerCampus Chapter. I'm an English Writing Major and Psychology Minor. In addition to HerCampus, I am also a Bonner School, Fiction Editor for the Midwestern Review, and a member of Alpha Chi Omega. My obsessions are otters, The Office, and flowers.
Hi, I'm Rose Overbey! I'm a senior at DePauw University, majoring in English writing. I'm a passionate non-fiction writer with interests in upcycling, crafts, fashion, and the environment.