For Those of You Who Think “my strange addiction” is Billie Eilish’s Only Song

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Last week, the queen herself announced that she will be going on tour, so I found it fitting to dedicate this article to all my favorite Billie Eilish songs. At Lollapalooza 2018, I saw Billie Eilish perform, and since then I have been obsessed with her music. Her voice is so soft and airy. Her sound is really unique because of its dark undertones and melancholic sound. Whenever I’m in the mood to just chill and listen to music, Billie Eilish is the artist that I put on shuffle. If you don’t already listen to Billie Eilish please get your head out from under that rock and go stream these six songs ASAP. 

bellyache

From her 2017 EP titled dont smile at me, “bellyache” is probably my favorite Billie Eilish song ever. I love the bouncy and fun vibe the song conveys even though the lyrics are in such a juxtaposition with that. Billie is conveying the perspective of a psychopath who just killed her friends but then immediately regrets it. Obviously, Billie herself is NOT a psychopath, but the way she writes about this character would make you think that she did just kill her friends. I think this song really showcases her lyrical abilities, so you should definitely give it a listen. 

all the good girls go to hell

This song is literally amazing and my favorite one from her 2019 album WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?. The tune is so catchy and makes me just want to hop around while simultaneously swaying. Interestingly though, this song is about climate change, which I didn’t realize at first because of the biblical symbolism. Billie is comparing Earth to hell through forest fires and the chaos that is ensuing in the environmental realm. Before I knew this deeper meaning, I just thought it was a good song, but now I like it even more for its relevant political message. 

COPYCAT

I live for the beat of this song. There is a lot of bass compared to her other songs that are more melodic. It is the first song on her 2017 EP and is a perfect entry way to the rest of the EP. The lyrics talk about a girl who is trying to copy Billie’s style and mannerisms, and how Billie is not here for it. If you didn’t realize from the title, the song is basically a dis-track targeted at ‘fake’ people. I live for the message behind this song because fake people are the worst, and they really just need to stop. This song is a must listen because the dark vibe of the song really just lingers in your soul.  

idontwanttobeyouanymore

At the heart of this song is pure emotion. Billie is talking to herself in this song and saying that she doesn’t want to be herself anymore. This idea of not wanting to be yourself is really relatable, because I think we all have those days where we just want to be someone else. The lyrics are so raw and really strike a chord within me. Whenever I recommend Billie’s songs to anyone I always suggest this one because it’s literally just such a beautiful song. 

you should see me in a crown

This song has a darker vibe to it and incorporates some awesome beat drops (I don’t know if that’s what you’d call them but oh, well). This song is empowering in my opinion because it’s all like ‘yea I’m awesome, I run this shit’. I feel really cool and like I rule the world whenever I listen to this song, which is why I’m making it a must listen. I mean who doesn’t want to feel like they rule the world? 

when the party’s over

I wanted to include this song as another example of one of Billie’s slower songs. Honestly, I only started listening to this song because I took a Buzzfeed quiz on what Billie Eilish song I would be and this is what I got. This song gives me a melancholic vibe that just feels right. I don’t know what it’s about but you should still go listen to it. 

Billie Eilish is a musical genius and she’s only like, 17! If you like her music and have the chance to see her on tour I would 100% recommend going. She’s amazing and you won’t regret listening to her music. 

My name is Mallory. I am a Senior sociology major at DePauw University. If you knew me you would know I am really into skeletons and love going to music festivals!
Hi, I'm Rose Overbey! I'm a senior at DePauw University, majoring in English writing. I'm a passionate non-fiction writer with interests in upcycling, crafts, fashion, and the environment.