Things No One Told Me About Being a Senior in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

My understanding of what senior year would be like was different in some ways than my actual experience has been so far. Here are some things that no one told me to expect as a senior.

Senioritis isn’t a thing

When I was in high school, I experienced senioritis to a small degree. There was definitely a point during my senior year of high school, second semester where I didn’t have much to do, and I expected the same thing to happen in college. However, between being a varsity athlete, having classes, writing two theses, and applying for jobs, I have very little time.

That I wouldn’t want to graduate

I had the idea that once I was in my senior year of college, I wouldn’t want to leave, and I would wish that I could never graduate and just stay with my friends forever. However, I didn’t anticipate being this excited for my next phase of life. I’ve caught myself looking at decor and apartments online, picturing my future career and what my life is going to look like when I adopt a cat. I’m so grateful for this time I have in college, but I’m also so excited for the next phase of my life too.

That I’d be excited for nights in

Obviously, with the pandemic, my social life is a little different here at college. I used to look forward to dancing at parties with my friends, but I get just as excited now about watching the Great British Baking Show and drinking a glass of wine or eating ice cream with my roommates. I’m officially old.

That I’d have a full blown caffeine addiction

I was never a coffee drinker until the pandemic hit, and I lived at home with my parents and their Keurig. Now, this semester, I’m busier than ever, waking up early for workouts and early morning study sessions. I need at least one or two coffees to be awake all day.

That adulting starts far before you graduate

I figured that being an adult would start when I graduated and had to pay bills. But this semester has shown me that’s not the case. From having to fix multiple problems in the house I’m living in, to creating a budget and filling out tax forms, I’ve really had to put my big girl pants on and do some adulting this semester.

Jackie Ebel

DePauw '21

Jackie is a current senior communication major at DePauw University in Indiana. She's lived in Massachusetts, Texas, and Maryland. She loves swimming, ice chai lattes, and the band Walk the Moon. Jackie is the editor for the profile and features sections of DePauw's branch of HerCampus.
Hi, I'm Katherine! I'm an Anthropology major. I am a member of the Honors Scholar Program, as well as a Bonner Scholar.