This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you may struggle to find a style that you’re confident with. Maybe you like different styles, or maybe you don’t like any at all.  It may be difficult for you to create a wardrobe that you’re happy with if you are unsure of what you’re going for, especially if funds are limited and you can’t afford to explore new styles everyday. 

I’m here to tell you that you don’t need a single style to work for you, and that you can explore different styles while being financially responsible. 

All you need: a capsule wardrobe and accessories. 

The idea of a capsule wardrobe promotes versatility. Using a set number of clothes, you can create countless outfits. If you find yourself spending too much on clothes, and yet still struggling to get dressed everyday, it might be because you are wearing pieces that are not versatile enough to make multiple outfits. A capsule wardrobe uses versatile, long-lasting pieces to make their closet as adaptable as possible.

This means you can keep a capsule wardrobe, add accessories, and make multiple outfits while exploring different styles. You’ll be able to save money by only having to buy new accessories every once in a while to expand your options, without having to buy an entire new outfit every time you want to change it up. 

So how does one make a capsule wardrobe? There are a few basic but crucial guidelines.

1. Buying quality pieces for longer and more frequent wear
    • Because a capsule wardrobe only includes so many pieces, it allows you to invest in quality clothing from ethical sources.
  2. Keep the capsule wardrobe relatively neutral
    • A neutral capsule wardrobe means you will be less likely to grow tired of your clothes, and helps you avoid temporary trends. 
  3. Create a capsule wardrobe that works for you
    • The basic idea of a capsule wardrobe is the same for everyone, but we are all different! Depending on your lifestyle, where you live, and the types of clothes you like, you can design a capsule wardrobe suited to you personally.

The average woman has 103 articles of clothing in her closet. With a capsule wardrobe to last all year long, you’ll want to have around 25-50 articles of clothing. This will include:

1. Neutral tees in black, white, and gray. You can add a printed tee and a striped tee for a couple unique looks. You’ll do the same for warmer tops, including tunics and hoodies. 
  2. Several pairs of pants to make sure you have as many options as possible: jeans, distressed jeans, black leggings, and a pair of colored pants are some common ones.
  3. Jackets of varying type and color to promote versatility and to work for different weather conditions. 
  4. A pair of sneakers, some neutral or warm-toned boots, and sandals for the warmer months.
  5. A mini ‘fancy’ capsule, for nice occasions, including a couple dresses, cocktail and formal, and at least one pair of heels.

But how do you make the journey from your current closet to this capsule wardrobe? If you are someone with a closet full of clothes that you don’t actually wear, you’ll have to start with a closet purge. Keep the basics from this list if they are good quality. Drop everything that doesn’t fit or that you haven’t worn in the last six months. 

Anna Schultz-Girl Looking Through Closet
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

A capsule wardrobe is a long-term investment; in order to save you money, you’ll need to stick with it for a long period of time and avoid buying other clothes. If you’re worried about the costs of funding a capsule wardrobe, you can make some cash by selling your purged clothes, and work on your capsule wardrobe over a long period of time. 

Once you have your capsule wardrobe, you can begin to accessorize! Accessories play a huge role in this strategy because accessories can transform an outfit entirely. Adding some classy jewelry pieces alone can make loungewear look like a flashy night out. 

Luckily, there’s no limit. Jewelry, bags, hats, sunglasses, watches, hair accessories, even makeup; the list goes on and on. This is where you personalize your style. Your capsule wardrobe creates the foundation, and your accessories create the style and personality of each outfit. 

Of course, this isn’t to say you can’t buy clothes that stand out to you! The best thing about fashion is that you have the freedom to own and wear whatever clothes you want. But utilizing a capsule wardrobe and accessorizing might help you avoid overspending on clothes that you aren’t actually wearing, while giving you more opportunities to explore your style. 

If you want more information on capsule wardrobes, here are some YouTube videos that helped me!

• Thrifted capsule wardrobe on a budget
  • 8 rules for owning fewer clothes: 
  • How to purge your closet and build a capsule wardrobe:
  • Hi, my name is Lindsey Dewaelsche! I'm a Malpas Scholar and Servicio Cohort alumna here at DePauw. I'm also majoring in Psychology and Hispanic Studies! I love to be involved in the community by feeding the campus cats, attending yoga classes at the Lilly Center, and working as a DJ for the WGRE radio station. In my free time, I enjoy writing, painting, and traveling.