The 4 Things I’m Most Looking Forward to for Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

We all know that Thanksgiving is celebrated so poorly in our country by celebrating the fact that white cis-gendered men in our history accredited the decolonization of the United States and discovering new land to themselves when they completely discredited the natives who controlled the land. Not to mention, how these men stole from them. While I have not used Thanksgiving to celebrate that purpose in recent years, I make it my mission to celebrate having the ability to be with my family and be thankful for one another and all of the privileges I have in my life. Here is a list of the 4 things I am most looking forward to this Thanksgiving.

1. The Foodddd

Obviously, this is most people’s favorite part of this holiday. I always like to deny the fact that I’m a true Taurus and am a sucker for some good food, there’s absolutely no denying how much I love a good feast on Thanksgiving, especially when I get to enjoy it around the comfort of my family.

2. Seeing my family

Being a Fall Athlete here at DePauw, this is the first break of the semester that I get to go home and see my family. The feeling of making the two-and-a-half-hour drive knowing I get to sleep in my own bed, watch TV with my family, and of course see my dog makes me so happy and relieved, I don’t even dread the drive. (Now the drive back is a different story). There’s something about being home for the holidays after being away at college that just makes it even more amazing.

3. Relaxing and Stress Relief

Now we all know that college is extremely stressful and time-consuming, and my fellow athletes know just how much less time and more stress we tack on to that. Anytime I get to go home, I am just immediately excited to decompress, watch some TV, cuddle with my dog, and try not to worry about school at all.

4. Increasing my knowledge of the actual events that occurred

Something I really took the time to do last year was set aside from myself and increase my knowledge on the education that wasn’t accurately supplied to me while in school. I did all the research I could and actively sought out new accounts to follow and new resources to better understand what the holiday’s true meaning should be. I will be doing the same this year as my learning is definitely not completed and I highly encourage you to do the same :)

Lizzie is a senior at DePauw University in Greencastle, IN. She is creating her own major compiled of Economics, Computer Science, and Studio Art which she will call "Emerging Technology in Business & Design". She hopes to own her own cosmetic company one day! Lizzie enjoys playing volleyball, doing anything artsy (embroidery, painting, graphic design, etc), playing around with makeup, and all things fall! Lizzie currently works on the photo blogs and she is also the photographer for DePauw's branch of HerCampus.