Ten Drinks You’ve Never Considered!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Ten drinks you’ve never considered!
Addie McDonnell, Jane Simon & Anna Prasch

‘Tis the season! Lots of twenty-first birthdays are on the horizon for so many juniors, so we thought we would take some time and get you all prepared for when you first pay your $5 cover charge at Hoods on Wednesday or walk into The Duck at midnight on your birthday!

Great go-to drinks:
1. Vodka Soda: This is most likely the easiest drink order out there and it is our number one go-to. Vodka and club soda. It doesn’t get much easier than that! Get a lime too, it just looks cooler!

2. Frodka: We swear by these pink cocktails! A frodka consists of Fresca, vodka, and a splash of cranberry juice. Now most restaurants do not carry Fresca, but you can always substitute Sprite or Sierra Mist.

3. Rum & Diet Coke: Forget rum and coke, switch to rum and diet coke! This classic drink just lost some calories. Sure “rum and coke” is easier to say, but your waistline will thank you Thursday morning after a crazy night at Hoods & Capers.

4. Mimosa: There’s no better time than 10:30 on a Saturday morning to pop open a bottle of bubbly and mix it with OJ in a champagne flute…or a solo cup. Forget tailgating with beer and vodka, step it up a notch and pull out the champagne next Saturday! 

5. Gin & Tonic: So many people always go for the Vodka Tonic, but we think next time you should try a Gin and Tonic. If you want to sound really sophisticated, tell the bartender you want a “G & T.”

6. Old-fashioned: Even though girls really shouldn’t have to buy their own drinks, let alone drinks for guys, there are always those situations when you maybe lose a bet to a guy for some reason or another and then you owe him a drink. Personally, we would have a panic attack… what on earth does he want to drink? Well beer is always a good go-to, but so is the Old-Fashioned. Majority of guys will love this whiskey cocktail.

If you’re feeling adventurous:

7. Rum Stone Sour aka “the country club drank”: Rum may not sound like the most appealing thing to drink, but throw in some orange juice, lemon juice, sugar syrup and you’ll be thanking us.

8. Blue Lagoon Fish Bowl at Swizzle Stick: So we recently went to Swizzle Stick for the first time and ordered one of these. Word to the wise, this beachy cocktail comes in an actual goldfish bowl filled with probably 4 or 5 individual drinks made of Blue Curacao, vodka and lemonade. So grab a couple friends and split a blue lagoon over a tasty birthday dinner!

9. Painkiller: This beverage hales all the way from the U.S. Virgin Islands. We don’t say this lightly, but this beverage is to die for! This drink mixes dark rum, cream of coconut, pineapple juice, orange juice, and some nutmeg as a garnish. Usually this comes over ice, but if you’re ever in Charleston, SC make a trip to Hometeam BBQ for a frozen painkiller.

10. Now number 10 is a bit different than the others. We all know there are those nights when you just don’t want to waste the calories on drinking or have a big presentation the next day, but you still just want to go out with your friends and have a good time! So we have the perfect solution for you… drum roll please… club soda. Trust us, if you don’t want to drink just order one of these. That way people stop hassling you about why you don’t have a drink in your hand or why you aren’t drinking.

Mckenzie Curran is a Sociology and Communication major at DePauw University. Mckenzie is new to the HerCampus Team, and looks forward to planning HerCampus events in the upcoming school year in order to spread awareness of the site. Mckenzie spends her free time going to campus events, baking, and hanging out with her Kappa Alpha Theta sisters.