sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Staying Safe on Nights Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Its not secret that there is a huge party culture at DePauw. However, the temperatures outside are steadily dropping, so staying safe and keeping track of each other is more important than ever. 

Travel in Groups

Everyone tends to start the evening with a group of friends—no one goes to a party alone! However, as the night progresses, you meet new people, you stray away from the group to go get drinks or you simply have to go to the bathroom. Be smart and make sure at least one of your friends goes with you, or make sure you can find them when you get back to the dance floor! It is also convenient to create a group chat with the people you are going out with! That way, you can avoid being stranded at a party where you do not know anyone. It is even more important that you walk to and from frats with a couple of friends. While Greencastle is a small town, walking alone at night can still be very dangerous. Be smart and get someone to walk with you! 

Keep Track of How Much You Are Drinking

If you choose to drink, always keep in mind how many drinks you’ve had and in how much time. If you consume a lot of alcohol in a short amount of time, you will not realize how drunk you are before it is too late. It generally takes about twenty minutes for the alcohol to take effect— depending on how strong the drink is! Even more important that knowing how many drinks you’ve had is being aware of what is in your drink. Try to avoide mixed drinks of unknown content, or at least ask what is in them. Keep a close eye on your cup all night! Do not let other people pour you drinks and if your cup has been left unattended for a while, get a new one. It is better to waste a little plastic then consuming a roofied drink.

Stay Warm

You’re wearing a cute outfit and you don’t want to ruin it with a winter coat. We get it! However, your health is more important than what you look like on the short walk to a fraternity. At most houses, you can leave your jacket somewhere close to the entrance. If you are afraid of your coat being stolen, you can opt for owning a ‘fracket’— a jacket only worn to fraternities. It’s usually an older, non-expensive coat that you can easily replace if it gets taken. 

Remember the Lifeline Law

You went out and had fun, but now your friend is laying on the floor of your room and you can’t wake them up. It happens more often then you would think! Do not be afraid to call for help even if you are underaged, if you think the situation has gotten dangerous. You can reach Public Safety at any time of the day at (765) 658-5555. If you call for a friend, you will not be in any trouble— as stated by the Indiana Lifeline Law. DePauw extends this policy; the friend that you called for will also face no consequences from Community Standards. 

Check Up on Each Other 

You wake up the next morning with a killer headache and bruises that you don’t remember getting. You start thinking about the night before and realize that you have no idea where some of your friends disappeared to. You went to the party with six people, and only two of you got back at the same time. Text your friends! See how they’re doing, ask if they had fun, and if they need anything. It’s always nice to receive that text the next morning, especially after rough nights!

Nika Rebec

DePauw '22

Nika is a sophomore at DePauw, double majoring in Biochemistry and Neuroscience. She is originally from Slovenia and moved to the U.S. to attend college. She is on the pre-med track and wishes to continue her education in the United States.
Hi, I'm Rose Overbey! I'm a senior at DePauw University, majoring in English writing. I'm a passionate non-fiction writer with interests in upcycling, crafts, fashion, and the environment.