Starting the Semester Off Strong!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

So, we’ve been back in classes for a little more than two weeks now, and it can be difficult to get back into the swing of things! Whether you’re a returning upperclassman ready to take on the semester or a first-year student adjusting to college life, it’s important to think about a few things to make sure you have the best year possible!

Here is a list of some important things to think about in order to start this semester out strong:

1. It’s okay to feel lost at times.

College is filled with amazing experiences, and you learn so much about yourself; however, sometimes it feels like you’re making a mistake, or you aren’t sure what to do with your life. Trust me, you’re not alone. I know it seems like everyone around you has their career path planned out, but a lot of people don’t. You never know where you might end up, but worrying about it doesn’t help. Just have some faith in yourself and your decisions and know that things always have a way of working out.

2. Step out of your comfort zone.

A lot of times we like to find our group of people and remain in that little bubble of comfort, but it’s so important to keep on challenging yourself and trying new things! Even if you have just a tiny interest in something, give it a shot! Part of college is about pushing yourself and developing who you are. All of this comes with experience from trying new things.

3. Get involved.

This kind of goes hand-in-hand with stepping out of your comfort zone, but it’s extremely important! Luckily, DePauw is a school with a lot of opportunities and activities going on. There are a lot of things to be passionate about. Sometimes getting involved can lead to bigger and better opportunities while on campus, during breaks, or even after you graduate! It’s never too early to start figuring out what you care about.

4. Be your own person.

A lot of times we try to fit in with the people around us, and that’s okay. But it’s also important to remember to stay true to yourself and know that being different isn’t a bad thing. It’s so easy to try and conform to what others are doing, but being different makes you special, and it’s important not to lose that.

5. Take a deep breath.

College is stressful. It’s a lot happening all at once. There are expectations from friends, family, and professors, which can cause a lot of anxiety in students. It’s important to put it into perspective and remind yourself that everything will be okay. When you start to feel stress and anxiety creeping up on you, just pause and take a deep breath. Focus on your breathing. Keep doing it until you’re calm and ready to focus again.

There are a lot of things to think about when starting school again, but most importantly, remember that each semester is a new start filled with great opportunities and chances to make more amazing memories! Let’s start this one out strong!

Greta Raser is a sophomore at DePauw University. She is involved in the Environmental Fellows Program, Sustainability Leadership Program, and Timmy Global Health. She is from Cincinnati, OH and enjoys running, hiking, biking and spending time outdoors.