Spring Stylin’ 101: Layering Right!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Spring began three weeks ago, but it doesn’t feel like it. The weather is interrupting many of our outfit choices. We’re in winter, autumn, and spring all at once. Nevertheless, we’re still styling out here! If you’re confused on what to wear, layering is the best way to go. If it gets too warm there’s always the option to take off a piece. When layering, it’s important to remember: less is more! Try finding a jacket or sweater that’ll do the job in keeping you warm. The beauty of putting on multiple layers is how simple, yet loud your outfit can be! Here are a couple of tips:

Crop Tops

When it’s chilly out but you don’t want to feel weighed down by multiple layers, a crop top is the way to go! Pair the crop top with high-waisted pants, jeans or a skirt and a long trench coat or jacket and you’re set—all the while keeping warm! If you want to dress it up, try a crop top over a slim-fit blouse or a pair of thigh-high booties!

Three Layers

An easy trick on the cooler days is matching three lightweight pieces at a time. Stray away from bulky items when doing this. To achieve an effortless and put-together look, include items like a bomber jacket, long waist jacket, or a leather jacket. A cardigan, sweater, or hoodie and a simple t-shirt or blouse underneath your jacket are casual options for the three-layered look. As shown in the photos below, for a super casual outfit a pair of biker jeans, clean sneakers, and a statement neck piece puts the outfit together!

Don’t be afraid to choose a statement piece when putting your outfits together. We’re all feeling the same away about the cold spring we’re enduring, but that won’t stop us from styling! A special thank you to Alecia Hawkins and Trishaunna John for modeling; they slay daily!! #blackgirlstyling #layeredright #springstyle #stylespiration 

Ancilla Flemens is a sophomore at DePauw University, hailing from Queens, New York. Aspiring to be an educator and writer, Ancilla is majoring in English Writing with a double minor in Women's, Gender, and Sexality Studies and Education. Along with her passion for writing Ancilla is interested in fashion, traveling, and music. She's super excited about writing for HerCampus, stay tuned!