This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Belts have gone through a drastic change in the last couple years. The usual purpose of wearing a belt is to hold your pants up, but fashion forward thinkers have changed that. Now belts serve as a piece of fashion that is a part of almost every girl’s closet. They are a simple piece of clothing that can be worn with almost anything. There is a belt for every occasion.

My favorite belt style right now is the double buckle belts. These belts spice up every outfit. In the two pictures below their outfits are pretty simple. The belt brings in a new look and catches the eye of any passerby.

I like the belt in this picture a lot for many reasons. The main reason is that it contrasts the black shirt with the black pants. Without the belt, the outfit would blend together and not show off her waist. By wearing the double buckle belt it presents a focus of attention and completes the outfit.

Another look is a simple belt with big lettering. I like this look because the belt itself is very plain, but the lettered buckle adds some class. This look is an especially good example of lettered belts because it shows how the belts are not too busy. The model is wearing a floral printed shirt, which goes great with the belt because neither show off too much.

Lastly, a simple black belt is a necessity in every girl’s closet. A black belt comes in handy when you want to half tuck the shirt and show something off. The black belt works perfectly in this outfit because of the simplicity of it, which goes great with the monotone look.

Overall, belts are a great way for people to add style to any outfit. Belts range in sizes and colors, and they can either be a statement piece or add to the simplicity of an outfit.

Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.