The Spill: Twerkfest 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Miley Cyrus is a Wreck…ing Ball

Monday, September 9th saw the highly anticipated follow up music video to Miley’s summer hit and twerking anthem “We Can’t Stop”. Her newest song “Wrecking Ball” is much more stripped down than her first single, both musically and emotionally, as she recounts her highly publicized relationship, engagement and eventual break up with Australian star of “The Huger Games”, Liam Hemsworth.

Directed by Terry Richards, a noted fashion photographer whose repertoire includes shoots for Marc Jacobs, Rolling Stone and Vogue, the video starts with a tight shot of Cyrus’s face but quickly transitions to her wearing what has become her signature attire, a white cut off tank top and matching white cotton underwear.

The first shots of the video are extremely emotionally charged and are enough to make the average viewer forgive and maybe even forget about Summer Twerk-teen, but suddenly Miley switches to a hypersexual encounter with a sledgehammer and flies through the air on a wrecking ball. Did I mention at this point in the video she is no longer wearing clothes? While this may be a representation of how her relationship with Hemsworth has left her stripped down and the wrecking ball is a representation of destructive love, this video is like manna from heaven to all the Miley haters. At least its not “We Can’t Stop” part 2.

Check it out for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My2FRPA3Gf8

Twerk Hoax

Keeping with all news twerk related, a video was uploaded to YouTube on September 3rd titled “Worst Twek Fail EVER- Girl Catches Fire!” and has massed over 11 millions views in two weeks. The video depicts a girl in a pink shirt and yoga pants making a video that was supposed to be “sexy twerk video for [her] boyfriend”. The video ultimately ends in disaster as, after a series of unfortunate event, ends in her leg catching on fire. 

Spoiler alert: This week the girl, Caitlin Heller, was scheduled to make an appearance on “Jimmy Kimmel Live”. On the show, it was announced that (Surprise!) the twerking disaster was orchesrated by Kimmel himself and Heller is actually just a stunt woman. 

For a good laugh, no matter how true or how false: http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_1292046941&feature=iv&src_vid=CddMD3QqTFs&v=xjHRLM7gxjY

Hey Internets! I'm Laurel and am currently a freshman at DePauw University in Greencastle, Indiana. I'm majoring in Communications and hope to go onto work in online media and video production.
Rose Overbey

DePauw '20