This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

As classes begin to pick up and spring break still feels too far away, stress begins to take it’s toll on you, and it’s never pretty. A ruined manicure and two more wrinkles on your forehead later, you’ve turned into…a female dog. Keep your sanity and your friends by shaking it off, literally and figuratively!

Put it in Perspective
Polarize your Ray Bans with a new outlook. Sure, it’s totally offensive when your friend snaps at you for no apparent reason, but it’s important to take time to think about why she may have done that. Maybe she’s under a lot of stress too. Or maybe she got into a fight with her mom earlier that day. We tend to lash out at those closest to us when life gets overwhelming. Take her sass with a grain of salt, and let her know you’re there for her if the going gets tough. While it’s easy to hold grudges and snap back, remind yourself of the last compliment you received. Positive feedback outweighs negative feedback.

Dance off the days in the dumps
Put on your dancing shoes and shake it off, either in a Zumba class or out on the dance floor. We’re all familiar with Elle Woods’ wise advice: Exercise gives your endorphins, and endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don’t kill their husbands”…and they also see the glass as half-full. Make the best of your stressful situation by proactively picking the best song for the moment. If you’re bumming over a break-up, blasting an upbeat pop song will ensure high energy and quality fist pumps, rather than a depressing rendition of Black Swan.

Grab a dance partner
After you’ve reminded yourself about your amazing dance moves, remind someone else of theirs. It’s a very satisfying feeling to be the reason somebody else smiles. Also, surrounding yourself with positive people will eventually rub off on you. Just as you mimic your friends’ signature moves (point-and-twirl, shopping cart, stanky leg), you’ll start to mimic their positive attitudes!    

Keep your chins up collegiettes! And don’t let those Debby Downers bring you down!

Grace is a Communications Major at DePauw University. She enjoys traveling, music, shopping, and being in the sun.