The Secrets to Success: Life Lessons from the Dead Poet’s Society

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

I would like to consider myself somewhat well-exposed to the world of quality movies. And though I’ve seen many films, there are always one or two that have always stuck out in my mind as tremendous flicks with amazing acting and phenomenal messages. One of these films is The Dead Poets Society.  If you haven’t seen it, I recommend devoting rainy Friday night to it—it’s so good. But you’ll learn a lot from the movie, and here are a few of the lessons conveyed.

1. Robin Williams is close to perfect

No matter what role he plays, he is stellar. In the movie he plays a young schoolteacher, returning to his alma mater to teach, or rather, inspire the boys of the college prep school in English. And wow, he doesn’t just inspire the students. He inspires the viewer, and it has a lot to do with his performance.

2. Be an Individual

In a world of conformity, it is completely alright to march to the beat of a different drum. Embrace your individuality, and run with it. Individuality is necessary for individual growth, and the growth of the society we live in.

3. Carpe Diem

SEIZE THE DAY, LADIES!! You’re not going to get the present moment back; there is absolutely no sense in wasting it. Make the most out of every single day, we don’t know and we have no control over the future.

4. Intelligence and Language is important

The ‘synonym” option on your computer is helpful, but it’s even better when you expand your vocabulary so much you don’t need to use it. Language is powerful. Use strong words to convey your strong thoughts.

5. Challenge the Status Quo

Your voice is never too small for someone to listen. Never forget that. You have every right to voice your opinions and stand up to something. But, make sure you have a strong argument.

I could probably go on for hours about how wonderful this movie is, and how powerful the messages are. But if anything, I hope you watch this movie, (fall in love with Robin Williams…again) and get inspired. The Dead Poets Society is heartwarming, funny, inspiring, sad, and happy all at the same time. This is a movie that will stick with you for a while, and lessons it conveys are important. So devote that Friday night to it, you won’t regret it…I give you my word.

Rose Overbey

DePauw '20