RTR Event – Spring Formal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Last week, HerCampus teamed up with Rent the Runway to help the ladies of DePauw get ready for fraternity formal season. Girls across campus had the opportunity to try on dresses from top designers and rent them at a discount. Among the designers on the racks were Milly, Elizabeth & James, Trina Turk, and Shoshanna. So what can we expect the women of DePauw to be wearing as they dash off for their formals? You will most definitely be seeing bright colored dresses as well as a lot neutral metallics – bright pinks and oranges, and subtle golds and silvers. Rent the Runway was showing lots of florals and springy prints, which have seemingly been everywhere this season. From printed pants, to blazers, shoes, and sweaters, there’s just no reason you can’t wear a printed dress! If you feel your dress makes enough of a statement, stick with understated jewelry and shoes, and let the dress speak for itself. Conversely, if you’re planning on wearing a more simple and canvas-like dress, be sure to play it up by adding a colorful statement necklace or pairing it with bold shoes. This is just certainly not the time of year to be timid or shy.

Featured in our pictures this week are our two darling campus correspondents, Emmy Shiring and Kelly Killpack, both of whom tried on this turquoise Erin by Erin Fetherston dress. This dress is absolutely perfect for formal, and I would highly recommend it (or one similar). Turquoise is just that color that looks great on everyone’s skin tone. Its waistline hits at the most narrow part of your torso and is incredibly slimming, and the dress itself leaves room for simple accessorizing with shoes and the neckline.