This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

With the comeback of the Jonas Brothers, it only seems right to take a look back at some of the best boy bands that have graced the presence of millennials.

Backstreet BoysThe Backstreet Boys have been a constant in terms of boy bands for millennials. They have recently been making their presence as a boy band known after releasing their recent album DNA in 2019. The Backstreet Boys have been cranking out songs since as early as 1996 when their debut album Backstreet Boys came out. So if you are looking for a model of a boy band that has stuck together through thick and thin and who has been producing hits for over a decade, look no further than the Backstreet Boys.

5 Most Popular Songs – According to Spotify

1. “I Want It That Way” (1996)

2. “Shape of My Heart” (2000)

3. “Everybody” (1996)

4. “No Place” (2019)

5. “As Long as You Love Me” (1996)

Jonas Brothers

The Jonas Brothers are a great boy band because of the special fact that they are actually brothers. They have the family similarities and at the same time all have very distinct personalities and ways of presenting themselves. The Jonas Brothers have transformed from boys to grown men with wives, but they still have the voices and lyrics that keep girls obsessing over them.

1. “Sucker” (2019)

2. “Burnin’ Up” (2008)

3. “Lovebug” (2008)

4. “S.O.S.” (2007)

5. “Play My Music” (2008)

One Direction

The comeback of the Jonas Brothers has One Direction fans wondering if they will get to see the comeback of another great millennial band. This boy band had adolescent girls picking their favorite out of the five British boys whose music talked about finding the perfect girl and falling in love. Although the band only lasted for 6 years, from 2010 to 2016, the band’s quick rise to fame after being a finalist on The X Factor in 2010 made them a memorable millennial boy band. While the band originally consisted of 5 members, Niall Horan, Liam Payne, Harry Styles, Louis Tomlinson, and Zayn Malik, Zayn was the first to leave the band and is no longer considered a member of One Direction. The members of the band all now have separate successful music careers, and there have been no talks of the band getting back together.

1. “Story of My Life” (2013)

2. “Little Things” (2012)

3. “Night Changes” (2014)

4. “Drag Me Down” (2015)

5. “They Don’t Know About Us” (2012)

*NSYNC

Taking it all the way back to 1995 for *NSYNC. This band is a little outdated for millennials, but their number one hit “Bye Bye Bye” is still played on repeat, and its most successful member Justin Timberlake is well known for his success in the entertainment industry.

1. “Bye Bye Bye” (2000)

2. “This I Promise You” (2000)

3. “It’s Gonna Be Me” (2000)

4. “Tearin’ up My Heart” (1997)

5. “(God Must Have Spent) A Little More Time On You” (1997)

5 Seconds of Summer

5 Seconds of Summer (5SOS) is doing every kind of music a boy band can take on, from EDM to rock to love songs. They are a more modern kind of boy band and are a versatile group when it comes to presentation and sound. The band, formed in 2011, is from Australia and has become a worldwide phenomenon in the past couple years, topping the charts with songs such as “Youngblood” and “Lie to Me.”

1. “Who Do You Love” (2019)

2. “Youngblood” (2018)

3. “Lie To Me” (feat. Julia Michaels) (2018)

4. “Valentine” (2018)

5. “Want You Back” (2018)

Honorable Mentions

Hot Chelle Rae

Top 3 Songs

1. “Tonight Tonight” (2011)

2. “I Like It Like That” (2011)

3. “Why Don’t You Love Me” (2011)

Boys Like Girls

Top 3 Songs

1. “The Great Escape” (2006)

2. “Two Is Better Than One” (2006)

3. “Love Drunk” (2009)

Big Time Rush

Top 3 Songs

1. “Boyfriend” (2010)

2. “Worldwide” (2010)

3. “Big Time Rush” (2010)

The boy band will be a constant presence in the music industry. The rises and falls of boy bands are something that keeps fans passionate about their favorite group of guys, wishing the best for them and wanting to hear more music from them. There is nothing like a group of guys coming together to win over people’s hearts with their lyrics, appearances and, most importantly, their choreographed dance moves.

Hi, my name is Bridget! I'm a Peace and Conflict Studies major with Philosophy and Asian Studies minors. I love writing about my friends, personal growth, social justice, and of course, all things Bachelor/Bachelorette!