Reasons Why I Love Indiana

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

When I was younger, I used to hate the fact that I lived in Indiana; back then, I was incapable of seeing all that it has to offer. Those who come from all around the world to DePauw, located in Indiana, also say that it isn’t one of the best places to be. Here is why you are wrong.

Fall

Not all places in the world get to experience the beauty of fall. Man, do I feel bad for them. Fall brings so many good thoughts, feelings, and intentions. It is the time to be closer with family, snuggle up with loved ones, and enjoy immense amounts of time in the fresh air. Not to mention all the boots and scarfs we get to wear! Without fall, I am sure I would be pretty sad inside.

No Hurricanes, Tsunamis, or Major Earthquakes

Natural disasters are one of the most terrifying things our world has to offer. Fortunately, we do not have to worry about them much in Indiana. In my 21 years of living, I can remember two rather minor earthquakes that caused no damage, and I have never been more thankful. We are not near a major body of water, so we do not suffer from tsunamis or hurricanes. Indiana is a safe place.

Snow

I know what you’re thinking. Snow sucks, but it’s also kind of amazing. One morning. you wake up and look out your window to find a beautiful blanket of snow everywhere. It makes you feel a tingle inside, like something magical has happened. Plus, I don’t think my childhood would have been complete without canceled school days filled with sledding and hot chocolate with my siblings. The winter months are truly one of the best memories from my childhood.

Fresh Grown Corn

I don’t know about you, but I am a corn fanatic. I could eat corn every single day, and there is nothing better than fresh grown corn. Every summer, my family buys fresh corn on the cob and we grill it, boil it, and whatever else your heart can imagine. I always look forward to those times. Plus, all the cornfields give Indiana a great Halloween vibe for October.

Lake Wawasee

There is a big lake in Syracuse, Indiana, where my family has spent every summer since I was a little girl. The lake is my favorite place in the world, as it is always filled with fun times and family activities. I treasure the weekends I get to spend at the lake because I get to escape from the stresses of the real world and enjoy time with the ones that I love.

My Family

Last but not least, most of my family lives in Indiana. I grew up just five minutes away from my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins on my mom’s side. I felt blessed to have such a close relationship with my family and to know that they were only a short car ride away.

I have a lot to be thankful for, and most of it is because of the state where I grew up. No matter where I end up after college, Indiana will always be my home.

Freshman at Depauw University.