Reasons to Love Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Winter is quickly approaching, and that makes many people want to curl up and hide. But even though it’s chilly out, there are a lot of great things about winter! Here are some reasons to appreciate the winter season instead of wanting to enter hibernation!

1. Hot chocolate and holiday cookies

Nothing feels better than sipping on hot cocoa while enjoying holiday cookies! One of the best parts of the winter is getting to decorate cookies for the season! There’s something about decorating cookies in the winter that makes it special, especially if you make them holiday-themed for more fun and festivities!

2. Comfy winter clothes

One of the best things about winter is that you get to bundle up in the comfiest clothes! The best things to wear in the winter are soft sweaters, scarves and mittens, and some cute tall boots! And don’t forget about fuzzy socks that you can wear under your boots to keep your feet warm – you can also just wear them while lounging around!   

3. Ice skating

Ice skating is one of my favorite things to do in the winter. Every year, my hometown sets up an ice skating rink downtown on Fountain Square. I love going down and skating while being surrounded by the lights of the city. The best part about ice skating is that you don’t have to be good at it in order for it to be fun! It’s a great activity to do with friends during the winter. Don’t make the same mistake that I did, which was forgetting to wear gloves, especially if you’re clumsy like me and need to grab the wall for support! 

4. Snow

Remember when you were a kid and you would look outside your window and see snow? Remember how excited it made you? This feeling doesn’t need to end now that you’ve grown up! Snow allows us to feel like giddy kids again! Not only is it a beautiful sight, but you can also go sledding and relive your childhood! Next time it snows, go out and enjoy it. So, as the classic song says, “Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!”

Greta Raser is a sophomore at DePauw University. She is involved in the Environmental Fellows Program, Sustainability Leadership Program, and Timmy Global Health. She is from Cincinnati, OH and enjoys running, hiking, biking and spending time outdoors.