Random Acts of Kindness to Brighten Your Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

When we get busy, especially in college, it’s easy to get in our own heads and worry about anything and everything. Sometimes it helps to find joy in the little things such as a sunny day, ice cream with friends, or sleeping in an extra hour. Here are a few random acts of kindness that you can do today to not only brighten your day, but someone else’s as well!

Call Your Parents

Even if you think that they don’t, your parents miss you–I mean they REALLY miss you. So pick up the phone and give them a random call. Catch up and keep them in the loop with your life. It only takes a couple minutes on the phone to make their day, which is 100% worth it.

Leave a motivational sticky note

It may seem a little cheesy, but little things like a sticky note can make a big impact on someone’s day. Whether your roommate had a rough day or your best friend has a tough test later, it feels great to know that people care and support you.

Share your snacks

Nothing brings people together like food, so if you’re off to study or just hang out with friends bring some snacks along and you’ll be everyone’s favorite for the day…or at least until the snacks are gone.

Send a package or letter to a friend

Although this one requires a little more effort, surprise packages are the absolute best! There are many different websites where you can send funny packages to friends. Whether it’s potatoes or goats, this random act of kindness is sure to brighten anyone’s day.

Treat yourself!

After you’ve been kind to everyone else, it’s time to be kind to yourself! Go get some ice cream, watch some Netflix, or go online shopping because you deserve it! TREAT YOURSELF!

Hopefully, you are now well equipped to brighten everyone’s days, including your own, so get out there and spread the joy!

DePauw 2020, Neuroscience and Computer science double major, Soccer Player