Pithy & Profound: Christmas Activities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

We know that you have to get through finals first, so let these 10 activities give you something to look forward to! You have at least an entire week before Christmas to squeeze in lots of holiday activities. So if you’re looking to put off studying for a bit go ahead and plan your first week at home now!

1. There is not a better time than winter break to throw a holiday get-together with friends from high school.  Everyone is home for a couple weeks and will definitely need a break from the out-of-town relatives that have taken over their house. Bake some holiday goodies, set out some appetizers, invite all your high school friends for some cocktails and reminisce on days when you didn’t have to worry about finding a career!

2. Speaking of finding a career… sorry, but winter break is such a perfect time to tidy up your résumé and starting scouring the web for job openings!  Plus, you can network with tons of people at holiday parties. Take advantage of this time!

3. Wrap presents. Some of you love this part of the gifting process, others of you hate it, but it has to be done eventually! We found this great idea on Pinterest to make gift tags out of paint chips.  Just find some old paint chips in holiday colors or stop by Home Depot and pick some up.  Then all you have to do is cut festive shapes out of the paint chips.

4. Try your hand at making holiday cocktails! HerCampus Boston College put up this great blog on healthy holiday cocktails that we are dying to try! Eggnog is one of our favorites, so naturally we plan on taste-testing the Health Makeover Eggnog!

5. Santa cake pops.  Anna’s sister is a crazy baker and every Christmas she likes to try a new holiday recipe. Last year it was Santa cake pops, or as she calls it, “Santa poop.”  This tasty recipe consists of red velvet cake mixed with cream cheese frosting in a bowl, making individual balls out of the cake, and then drizzling white chocolate over the top of each ball of cake! They are to die for! Here’s a recipe similar to the one she uses! http://www.bakerella.com/red-velvet-cake-balls/

6. Ice Skating… obviously! Okay so it hasn’t been THAT cold this year… YET! But it has to get cold, we just know it. So be prepared for it! Leave some time open in your week to get some friends and head to the ice skating rink! Whether it’s the rink at Millenium Park in Chicago or Forest Park in St. Louis, you’ve got to lace up some skates at least once this holiday season. Don’t worry if you’re really bad at it, because it’s funny for everyone else out on the ice.

7. Squeeze in some fun workout classes at the gym! As you all probably know, working out at Lilly can be a bit redundant! Spice it up with some fitness classes at your local gym! Or may we suggest some hot yoga?! It sounds miserable, but there is no better feeling than coming out of the studio knowing that you just sweat out all the toxins in your body.  Try it! If you like it, put some Lululemon gear on your Christmas list!

8. Sit by the fire with some coffee and a good book.  When we think of Christmas we think of sitting by the warm fire with some coffee and a good book. It’s highly likely that you didn’t have time all semester to read for fun, so now is your chance! Also, if you know that you will be doing a lot of reading, think about putting a Kindle or iPad mini on your gift list! The books are usually a little cheaper and it’s so convenient if you will be doing a lot of holiday traveling.

9.   Strapped for cash this holiday season and can’t think of what to get your friends for Christmas?  Tell us about it.  That’s why we like to make gifts!  Check out these personalized Christmas ornaments.  Super easy and super inexpensive! http://dimplesandtangles.blogspot.com/2011/12/personalized-ornaments.html

10. Tell friends and family how thankful you are this holiday season! Being thankful isn’t just a Thanksgiving thing! Winter break is one of the few times your entire family gets to be together, so don’t take it for granted!