Onions Have Layers, Ogres Have Layers, You Need Layers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

The key, ladies, to maintaining your cute look when it is freezing cold outside is layers. Start with a sweater or your favorite tee, then pile on the layers! Add a flannel, a cardigan, a vest an anorak, or all four—the more the merrier! However, to avoid looking like Randy from A Christmas Story, you must layer with strategy. For example, if you are wearing an oversized sweater, pair it with skinny jeans or leggings- not your favorite pair of boyfriend jeans. Baggy is cute and in style, but too much leaves you looking heavier than you are. After you have your layers, don’t forget to accessorize! Add a fun scarf, a pair of fuzzy socks, a hat, and warm boots. Layers will keep you looking stylish without freezing on your trek to class each day. So, without further ado, here are some great pieces that you probably already have laying in your closet—all you have to do is layer them!

Your Favorite Tee

The perfect base layer for any stylish cold weather outfit, your favorite tee will add a touch of personality. Tees work well as a base layer because they tend to be more form fitting, which will help to maintain your figure once you add bulkier layers.

Sweaters

What could be cozier than your favorite sweater? This is another excellent option for a base layer, especially on days when all you want to do is curl up under the covers with a mug of hot chocolate and a good book.

Flannel

This is an excellent piece to add warmth and variety to your outfit. It can be layered either under a sweater or over a tee.

Cardigan

Essentially an open sweater, cardigans are both cute and warm. I often wear cardigans as my third layer, over top of a tee and a flannel.

Jacket

Anoraks were made for layering. They are warm and versatile—you can buy them with a lining to make them a warmer, more functional fall/winter jacket, or unlined as a transitional piece that can be worn in fall, winter, and spring. I like to wear mine over a t-shirt dress and cardigan, or as the final layer over a tee, flannel and cardigan. The options are nearly endless—be creative!

Vest

Vests are useful for those days when it’s not cold enough to warrant a winter coat, but you still need an extra layer. They look cute when paired with a flannel, as seen above, or over top of a sweater or sweatshirt.

Scarf

Scarves are the perfect accessory to both keep you warm and add some color to your outfit.

Cute Socks

My favorite way to liven up an outfit on a dreary day is a pair of fun socks. My go-to are ruffled boot socks, but I also love fuzzy socks or themed socks (Hello pumpkins!!).

Boots

Heat leaves your head and feet fastestso if they aren’t well protected, you’re more likely to be cold. That’s why it is important to have a good pair of boots like these Bean Boots so that your feet are protected from cold, wet days.

Knit Hat

Knit hats are a fun accessory that will keep your head warm. They are perfect for bad hair days—although if you decide to wear one you’ll have to commit, because they tend to create bad hair days as well! (tee hee)