This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Resale and consignment shops have been in my life ever since high school. I remember my first step into my local consignment shops–– a tear of absolute joy rolled down my face.  Since then I’ve gone ritualistically, especially since being home for the semester! I love resale shops so much because they offer unique clothing while helping our beloved planet. As far as finding beautiful articles of clothing to love and cherish for years–– I’m no expert, but here are some tips I live by! 

Keep an open mind

You never know what may be in store, literally, when you go to resale shops. With that, I recommend going in with a free mind, and not be set on finding one particular kind of item. You can find SO much more if you open yourself and look through everything, and some things will find you!

Schedule your visit

Personally, I have found that if I go weekly, I see the same clothes as the donations may not have been processed yet. Going about every 2-3 weeks is the perfect amount of time for the racks to replenish themselves. In those weeks, you can style and SERVE your previous finds!

Take your time

From my mistakes–– take your time and go through each rack. I have gone in, zeroed on one item and thus one rack, and missed so many other cool, unique items I could’ve put on my body. SO–– relax and make some time to find some cool clothing!

Follow them on social media

Most shops will have a social media presence–– on there they often post their new clothes and bags! Once you see something you like, jump on it! This is a perfect method for pandemic times, as well as another way to boost local shops!

Have fun! 

If you don’t find anything, that’s perfectly fine! Just remember you are typically supporting local businesses as well as the planet!

Lindsey is a senior Economics major at DePauw, with a minor in Classical Studies. When she's not doing work, she loves to cuddle up with a blanket and a glass of milk.
Hi, I'm Katherine! I'm an Anthropology major. I am a member of the Honors Scholar Program, as well as a Bonner Scholar.