Music Man: Meet Natalia Kills

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Twenty-four year old singer songwriter Natalia Kills has left her mark in many different facets within the entertainment industry, but her greatest mark just might be infusing glam-rock with the ever so popular electro-pop dominating airwaves today. Kills first broke into the entertainment business as an actress on a British television series. Realizing her calling was music, Kills reached the number one spot on Myspace’s unsigned artists chart, leading to her feature on Perez Hilton’s blog. Kills was later signed to Interscope/Cherrytree Records after being discovered by will.i.am. She plans to release her debut effort, Perfectionist, worldwide – dates still to be determined for the U.S. release.

In August Kills released her first single off her debut effort entitled “Mirrors,” which she wrote alongside Akon and other notable contributors. The track is the epitome of gothic pop, as Kills’ smooth voice sounds over heavy pop synthesizers accompanied by a strong guitar presence. The song dives into the world of sexual control and exploration as Kills experiments with various forms of pleasure. “Squeeze, hot, hold that pose/ You know I like it do it sweetheart, I’m the boss/ I’ll let you get close to it/ I’m gonna make tonight a show,” she croons. There is an obvious sense of female empowerment as Kills aggressively lays down the ground rules for the “S&M” themes. Kills released a very fitting music video for the song that plays on the haunting qualities of the song.

Her second single, “Wonderland,” is set to be released in the summer 2011 and is also featured on the soundtrack for the film Beastly starring Vanessa Hudgens. Her album’s release date is also speculated for a midsummer release.

What do you think of Natalia Kills? Sound off in the comments below!

Leanne Schaub is a senior at DePauw University, class of 2011, where she is majoring in Communication with a minor in Psychology. She is originally from the beautiful town of Leland, located in northern Michigan. Leanne is the President of the Gamma chapter of Alpha Phi and is a Speaking and Listening Center Consultant. On those rare occasions when she is not busy with academics or extracurricular activities, she loves dancing, catching up with family and friends, watching classic movies, being creative, cooking, and organizing.