Music Man: Meet Jessie J

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Have you ever wondered what Natasha Bedingfield would sound like with a dash of hip-hop and reggae sprinkled in her pop tracks? Look no further because Jessie J, another British artist, is here to end any speculation. Jessie J’s experience within the music business dates back much further than her announcement in 2010 to launch her own solo career, in the past penning songs for some of music’s biggest names: Justin Timberlake, Alicia Keys, and even Christina Aguilera. She even co-wrote that little song you might have heard of: “Party in the USA” for teen sensation Miley Cyrus. Jessie J plans to release her debut album in the US this coming April.

Jessie J teamed up with B.o.B. for her lead single “Price Tag” to impact US airwaves. Put the corniness aside, the effort is a fun uplifting pop track. Forget about all your homework and struggles because Jessie J is here to remind you about happiness. “Why is everybody so serious/ acting so damn mysterious,” croons the young singer leading into an infectious chorus, “It’s not about the money, money, money/ We don’t need your money, money, money/ We just wanna make the world dance/ Forget about the price tag.” The track is not your typical pop track and is infused with reggae and hip-hop sounds – a nice mix up from what’s being played currently. “Price Tag” has already reached the number one spot on four international charts and debuted at the 88th spot on the US Billboard Hot 100.

The music video is fun and showcases Jessie J’s corky style. Everyone should give this up-beat sunny head nodder a listen. Check out the video out below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMxX-QOV9tI

Jessie J’s debut album, Who You Are, will hit stores this April. If you’re looking for a hard-hitting hip-hop track that is a little bit more explicit, check out her first single “Do It Like a Dude.”

Check out Jessie J’s myspace: http://www.myspace.com/jessiejofficial
BUY her single today on iTunes!

What do you think about Jessie J’s single? Does she have what it takes to break into the US Market? Sound off in the comments below!

Katie Tangri is a senior at DePauw University, class of 2011, studying Communication and Sociology. She is a member of the Alpha chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta, a speaking and listening consultant and the Vice President of Program for Panhellenic Council. Her interests include shopping, baking and reading. She hopes to get a job at a non-profit organization upon graduation.