Music Man: Meet Dev

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

“Poppin bottles in the ice, like a blizzard/ When we drink we do it right gettin slizzard.” Although those lyrics have become reminiscent to DePauw’s current winter weather situation, most of you may recognize them from the chart topping song “Like a G6” by the emerging super group Far East Movement. However, the witty lyrics sampled on Far East Movement’s party ready track belong to “Booty Bounce” by Dev, the voice featured “feeling fly like a G6.” Get ready ladies because this self-described “small town girl with two fangs” is ready to step into the limelight and bring back the dark side to pop music.

The Far East Movement track, featuring both the Cataracs and Dev, undeniable success has given Dev the much-needed push to potential superstardom, helping her pen a record deal with Universal Republic. The 21 year old “Don’t-Call-Me-Ke$ha” songstress plans to bring something new and edgy to pop music. With help from the Cataracs, Dev delivers with her first official single “Bass Down Low,” which was released digitally in December of 2010 and most recently was released to mainstream radio stations in early January of 2011. The electropop track is an undeniable anthem for anyone who enjoys contagious beats and a heavy bass. Dev’s hard-hitting lyrics and affection for hip-hop is a captivating side step from typical dance pop dominating airwaves. The song has seen some success on the Billboard Music charts peeking to the 61st position on the Billboard Hot 100. Dev released a racy and explicit video for the track, which you can check out below. The music video stays true to the party hard theme of the song. It’s undeniable the track will get anyone dancing.

“Bass Down Low” is a total frat track and it’s only a matter of time before her unique sound hits mainstream. Dev is confident and infectious and there is no question she will emerge from “just the G6 girl” to pave her own path. Dev plans to release her debut album in April, which she is working hard on alongside the Cataracs.

Check out Dev on Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/devishot
BUY her latest single on iTunes.

Is Dev the next best thing to hit pop music? Sound off in the comments below!

Photo Credit: Coverlandia

Leanne Schaub is a senior at DePauw University, class of 2011, where she is majoring in Communication with a minor in Psychology. She is originally from the beautiful town of Leland, located in northern Michigan. Leanne is the President of the Gamma chapter of Alpha Phi and is a Speaking and Listening Center Consultant. On those rare occasions when she is not busy with academics or extracurricular activities, she loves dancing, catching up with family and friends, watching classic movies, being creative, cooking, and organizing.