Music Man: Meet Cheryl Cole

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Last week after months of speculation, it was revealed that Cheryl Cole would be joining Simon Cowell as one of judges of the highly anticipated American version of The X Factor. With the show’s international success, Fox finally added the talent show on steroids to it’s prime time line up for fall of 2011. It’s only a matter of time before Cole becomes a household name and here’s what you need to know about Miss Cole before the show airs in September.

Cole first rose to fame as one of the five members of the hugely successful girl group Girls Aloud. The London based quintet became the staple for dance-pop across the pond. Together the pop group spawned twenty top ten singles, produced five albums, and received several BRIT Awards nominations. Since Girls Aloud broke on the scene in 2002, the group has even been cited as changing the sound of pop music for UK listeners.

In 2009 the group announced a hiatus and Cole has been working very hard on her solo career ever since. She has produced two number one albums in the UK: 3 Words and Messy Little Raindrops. Two of her singles have also debuted at number one on the UK charts. “Fight for This Love” is undoubtedly Cole’s most successful track. The up-tempo R&B pop track peaked at the number one spot in Ireland, the United Kingdom, Norway, Hungary, and Denmark.

The single is a straightforward love song. The R&B vibes paired with the dance-pop production instantly captivated music listeners around the world. Cole pleads, “Just know that you’re not in this thing alone/ There’s always a place in me that you can call home/ Whenever you feel like we’re growing apart/ Let’s just go back, back, back, back, to the start, oh.” The emotional intensity of the song was heightened for Cole when it was revealed her marriage was slowly falling apart and later ended in divorce in 2010. The music video, which you can check out below, demonstrates exactly why Cole has the chops to judge musical hopefuls as she proves through her vocal talent, crisp dance moves, and fierce looks that she not only has the X Factor, but also is a triple threat.

Check out her website: http://www.cherylcole.com/

Is America ready for Cheryl Cole? Sound off in the comments below!

Katie Tangri is a senior at DePauw University, class of 2011, studying Communication and Sociology. She is a member of the Alpha chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta, a speaking and listening consultant and the Vice President of Program for Panhellenic Council. Her interests include shopping, baking and reading. She hopes to get a job at a non-profit organization upon graduation.