Morgan Weller ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.
Meet our newest Campus Celebrity, Morgan Weller from Brownsburg, Indiana. Morgan just recently won 1st place in the Women’s Little Five. Apart from cycling, she is a Management Fellow, English Writing Major and an Economics Minor, she’s also a member of Alpha Phi Sorority, a TALKS mentor, and a member of the DPU Cycling Club. Outside of school, She is an intern for Dallara, LLC, a racing company in Speedway, Indiana. And if that isn’t enough she’s really into triathlons. Morgan is an outstanding student and over all amazing person to get to know so here’s your chance to get to know her!

HerCampus: Morgan, thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to let me interview you. Wow you really have a busy schedule! Since you’re into triathlons, is that why you decided to be a Little 5 racer?

Morgan Weller: Yes! I started triathlons the summer before my senior year. Since then, I’ve come to enjoy cycling more and more. I raced in Little 5 last year but crashed. So I really wanted to come back with a vengeance this year! 

HC: You have such determination and you sure did make your come back! How long did you train for Little 5 and what did you do?

MW: I ride throughout the year, but training really intensified at the start of second semester. We did group rides everyday and really tried to get in a lot of mileage. Some of the most helpful practices were with the cycling team. We even participated in a race at Purdue to gain experience in criterium strategy. 

HC: You put in a lot of time and effort to be the number one team and it definitely paid off! Was it tough balancing your academics and practicing at the same time?

MW: Yes, we did! We had such great chemistry that it made it easy to go out and practice, even if we didn’t feel like it. For me, it wasn’t difficult to balance academics because I spend about the same amount working out on my own. 

HC: That’s great! You seem like a very well rounded women. What was your experience like in the race? What were you thinking?

MW: This year, our team made the race all about strategy. Throughout the race, we were in constant communication and were trying to work more efficiently. We agreed that we would stick together until the last few laps, then it was a free for all. Once I saw my break, I just focused on enlarging the gap and staying ahead. At the end, I was just trying really hard not to fall.

HC: I bet it was a huge relief to finally reach the finish line and to be the 1st as well! Now that Little 5 is over, what have you been up to and do you plan on racing next year?

MW: It was definitely a great relief. Since the race, I’ve been taking full advantage of the fact that training is over–eating a lot of junk food and skipping some workouts. Unfortunately, I have my Management Fellows Internship second semester next year. I won’t be racing, but I’ll definitely come back to watch! I have no doubt that next year’s Alpha Phi team will continue to build upon this year’s success!

HC: That is very unfortunate, but I bet your team will still do amazing especially with your support and passion! I want to congratulate you on all of your hard work and dedication. You truly are an inspiration. I am honored to have been able to interview you and I wish you luck and happiness with your internship during spring semester next year!

MW: Thank you so much!!