Meet the Transfer Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Every year we are lucky enough to add a few new students to the DePauw family. This year roughly 15 new students have joined the class of 2019 for a new beginning to their sophomore year. We couldn’t be more excited to have them here and we hope they love DePauw just as much as we do. Meet three of our new girls… 

Kelsey Whybrew

Hometown: Columbus, OH

Previous school: Thomas More College

Why DePauw?: “I really liked the campus environment when I came and visited. I have only heard good things about the school.”

Biggest transition: “I took seven classes at my old school, so four is a change of pace.”

Favorite or most surprising thing about DePauw: “I was surprised by how nice people are on campus; they’re always so friendly and say hi.”

Deja West

Hometown: Denver, CO

Previous school: Ivy Tech, Bloomington, IN

Why DePauw?: “I had a lot of family who went to DePauw and really enjoyed it. I also love the small community atmosphere.”

Biggest transition: “The small town is a lot different than what I’m used to.”

Favorite or most surprising thing about DePauw: “My favorite thing is definitely the people.”

Hannah Hearon

Hometown: Danville, IN

Previous school: Indiana University

Why DePauw: “In all honesty, DePauw wasn’t even on my radar when I began looking into schools to transfer to. I was convinced I wanted something huge, so I looked into Purdue, Butler and even Ball State. It wasn’t until a friend suggested a small liberal arts education that it even crossed my mind. Long story short, I visited in May and I was blown away by the English department and campus.”

Biggest transition: “The biggest transition for me so far has been size. It’s hard transitioning from a university of 40,000 to one of only 2,000 or so. I’m used to crowds. You don’t get a lot of those here.”

Favorite or most surprising thing about DePauw: “The most surprising thing I’ve experienced so far has been the kindness of the students and faculty here. Everyone is willing to help or point you in the right direction.”

Hi, my name is Bridget! I'm a Peace and Conflict Studies major with Philosophy and Asian Studies minors. I love writing about my friends, personal growth, social justice, and of course, all things Bachelor/Bachelorette!
Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.