Matt Hunt ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Introducing our newest HerCampus Celebrity, sophomore Matt Hunt! Matt is a key component to the football team and its success this season. He plans to lead the Tigers to victory this weekend and get the Monon bell back to its rightful place, here at DePauw. University. He’s originally from Indianapolis, Indiana and attended Heritage Christian School since kindergarten. Matt has been playing football since the 3rd grade and has always had the position of quarterback. This weekend is the moment he has waited for his entire football career. He plans on majoring in Communications and minoring in Economics. Besides football, Matt is a member of Alpha Tau Omega Fraternity and volunteers for the Castle Organization, which helps out the Greencastle schools from time to time. Read more below for Matt’s thoughts on the game this Saturday at Wabash.

HerCampus: Thanks Matt for taking time to let us interview you, I know you’re really busy getting ready for Monon this weekend! Lets get started, so what are your expectations and hopes for the game?

Matt Hunt: Obviously, we want to bring the bell back to Greencastle, and I feel that we have that capability to do so this year. I hope that everyone will come ready to play, and come with a lot of energy on and off the field. 

HC: That would be awesome is the bell was brought back to the castle! Can you remind us of what happened last Monon and what the football team plans to do differently this year?

MH: Last Monon we got off to a rough start, and could never really bounce back from there. This year we have been really good in the first quarter and I think that will translate over to Monon. 

HC: As long as you guys come out with intensity from the start, Wabash won’t know what hit them. How does it feel having an overall record of 7-2 going into the Monon game?

MH: Having a better record gives us so much more confidence. We know we can play anyone in the conference and do well, we have proven that all year. Also our coaches have been consistent from last year to this year, a couple new young guys have made a difference, and a bunch of older guys have stepped into crucial roles.

HC: Looks like everything is coming together perfectly right before this weekend and DePauw’s chances of getting the bell back are high with the dynamics of the football team being so in sync. What would you like to see from DePauw fans this weekend?

MH: I would definitely like to see more DePauw fans in the stands. This year has been a lot better than last year in regards to support from the fans, but there is always room for improvement. I would like us to pack the house at Wabash, because there students are obnoxious and we double the size of their student body and I think we can be more obnoxious then they are. 

HC: Look out Wabash, the DePauw student body will make it from the tailgates to the stands, cheer the Tigers on to victory, and help carry the bell back home! One last question, what has been your favorite part about the season so far?

MH: I think my favorite part has been these last 3 games. After losing to OWU it would have been easy for us to pack it in and quit but we have done the opposite of that. We have dominated these last 3 games, and that is a testament to the character of our team.  I think we will get back to the run game, I think our O-line can control the guys up front and we can move the ball. Also, our defense has been outstanding all year, and I would look for our secondary to make plays and make things happen.

HC: Well I’m so excited to see how you guys do and best of luck to you too Matt! 

GO TIGERS BEAT WABASH!

Sophomore Psychology MajorMember of Alpha PhiWomen's Varsity Lacrosse