Lois Miller ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Introducing our newest Campus Cutie, Lois Miller! Lois is a junior from Yellow Springs, Ohio. Her Campus was able to sit down with her and talk about her involvement at DePauw, Cross Country, and plans for next semester!

Her Campus: Hi Lois! Thank you for taking the time to sit down with me. To start, can you tell me a little about yourself?

Campus Cutie: Anytime! I am a junior math major with computer science and economics minors. I run Cross Country and Track & Field and am an Alpha Chi Omega! My favorite animal is a goose because I think they’re hilarious and they always show up in the funniest places (like parking lots). 

HC: Wow! It sounds like you keep yourself busy with your schoolwork and running! Is there anything else you are involved in on campus?

CC: Yes! As I said, I am an Alpha Chi Omega and I am a Cross Country and Track runner. I am also one of two captains of the Cross Country team, am on the Student Athletic Advisory Committee, an Honor Scholar, a member of C.A.T.S. (Chapter Assisting Trained Students) and a math tutor!

HC: If I ever need any math help, I know who I will be coming to! How did your Cross Country season go this fall?

CC: Not only has it been a really good season for me individually, it has been a great season for the team. I started the season pretty out of shape because of an injury I sustained at the end of last track season but it has been nice getting back into it throughout the season and still being able to do well at the end of the season. The team has been smaller this year than the past two years but I really liked it that way because everyone has been really committed and we have all had the chance to get really close. We have really good vibes on and off the course this year!

HC: It is great to hear that your season went so well! Now that Cross Country is over, how do you plan to spend those extra hours normally spent at practice?

CC: Well I will probably still run some because with no track season coming up, I don’t really have a need to take a large chunk of time off. Other than that I will probably go to events that happen at 4:00 that we can never go because of having a tight schedule, which can be disappointing. I also am going to spend more time at Alpha Chi because I live out this year and am not there too much. 

HC: That will be exciting to go to all of those events! Now, if I heard correctly you do not have a track season coming up, why is that?

CC: I will be spending my semester abroad at the University of Glasgow in

HC: Wow! That will be such an amazing experience! Can you tell me about your decision to go abroad?

CC: Of course! It was not originally in my plans to go abroad but I went to the Galapagos Islands last winter term and when I got back I realized I wanted to go abroad for a longer period of time. I don’t speak any languages other than English so even though I knew I could go to a non-English speaking country and survive, it wasn’t one of my goals to become fluent in another language so I decided to focus on English-speaking countries for my search. I am also a Honor Scholar and the University of Glasgow has a partnership with the Honor Scholar program here so I can get a credit for that while there, so that led me to the Glasgow. I also talked to friends who had been there and really enjoyed their experience!

HC: You will have such an awesome time there and we should for sure meet up somewhere abroad! Well Lois, that about wraps it up! Is there anything you would like to leave me with today? Perhaps a random fact about yourself?

CC: I am from a really small town that is only 3,500 people and I am obsessed with it. I want everyone from DePauw to come because there is no place like Yellow Springs. I am also the only person from my high school that I know to ever come to DePauw and I really want someone else from Yellow Springs to come to DePauw!

HC: Well folks, now you know a little more about this week’s Campus Cutie, Lois Miller! Thank you again for taking the time to sit down with us Lois!