This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Jimenez-Ojeda, a first year here at DePauw. She is the treasurer for Restorative Justice, a Civic Fellow, an Honor Scholar, a Stone Scholar, a Student Advocate for the student support group and an active member of Feminista.

Her Campus: How has your experience been so far at DePauw?

L: It was challenging at first, but once I found my own community I felt more comfortable and at home. It’s kind of another family now.

HC: What were some of the challenges you faced?

L: The first two weeks I found it difficult to be myself, so I found myself acting like the people around me.

HC: What are some things DePauw can do to create a more inclusive environment?

L: They could encourage more awareness about the issues multicultural people, such as myself, face every day.

HC: Do you believe there are outlets or communities on this campus that work towards that goal, and, if so, did they help you transition?

L: Yeah, definitely. I think Feminista! Is definitely a place where I can openly express myself as a colored woman.

HC: What advice would you give to incoming freshman who also identify as women of color?

L: My advice would be, despite the lack of color in classrooms, there are many people of color present on this campus that will support you endlessly and be there to guide you through whatever you encounter.

HC: That’s awesome. Thanks so much! You are such an inspiration, and we hope you have a great rest of your semester!

Hey all ! My name is Nadia Selena Estrada. I reside from the southside of Chicago and identify myself as a Chicana. I am currently a first-year student at DePauw University with an intended major in Psychology. I have a fine appreciation for all types of music, literature, and shades of orange (:
Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.