rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Little Ways to Take Care of Yourself At School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Whether its college or high school, school is ROUGH. You get so swamped with work, meetings and classes that it’s hard to remember to take time for yourself. Even the little things make a BIG difference. Here are some easy and ~cheap~ ways to treat yourself at school!

Buy Yourself Some Flowers

I don’t know about you, but flowers always make me smile! They are everywhere but so, so underrated. They have the ability to brighten your day instantly! I personally get the least expensive flowers or even succulents from Walmart. Remembering to take care of your plants helps to build a routine of taking care of yourself.

Go For a Walk

My biggest piece of advice for college is to walk away when you’re stressed! I don’t mean walk away forever or avoid your work – just take a few mins and regroup. I often do this by taking a stroll around campus with some friends. Even alone, bring some headphones and have a jam session until your brain is ready to hit the books again!

Have A Night In

There is no monetary value of alone time. It is SO precious and rare in college. Pop on a movie, make some popcorn, grab your blanket and a face mask and RELAX! It doesn’t even have to be the weekend, or the night for that matter. When your body tells you it needs some chill time, pls listen to her.

Color

This may sound immature, but I strongly believe there are magical healing powers in coloring books. It may be the child-like tendencies that make me feel safe, or maybe its slowing down time and picking the perfect marker – whatever it is, it works. Mandalas are supposedly the best patterns for stress!

Breathe

Take 30 seconds and take a deep breath. Deep breaths slow your heart and slow your mind. Guided meditations are also great when your mind is racing – here is one to try! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuv5EomIA9s

Lindsey is a senior Economics major at DePauw, with a minor in Classical Studies. When she's not doing work, she loves to cuddle up with a blanket and a glass of milk.
Hi, I'm Rose Overbey! I'm a senior at DePauw University, majoring in English writing. I'm a passionate non-fiction writer with interests in upcycling, crafts, fashion, and the environment.