The Jewelry Statement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Accessories are a simple way to add a little flair to an outfit. No other accessory makes quite the statement than that of jewelry. It’s the perfect way to enhance your outfit by instantly turning an outfit from boring to stylish. There’s nothing better than adding a colorful ring, a jangly necklace or chunky bracelets to your outfit. The beautiful thing about jewelry is that there are so many different styles to choose from. Check out these fun tips on how to style your favorite jewelry pieces!

One of the most important things to remember when wearing statement necklaces is that less is more. Make sure to wear big and colorful necklaces with neutral colors. Another option is to wear a less elaborate necklace with eye-catching clothes. Also, beware of necklines! Be sure to pair the correct necklace with the appropriate neckline. For example, you could put a statement necklace over a buttoned up collared shirt.

Recent trends suggest that bracelets are on the rise. If you are having trouble deciding what bracelet to wear with a specific outfit, try thinking about the kind of statement that you want to make with your outfit. Likewise, try matching a bracelet with the style of your outfit. For example, if your outfit is going on a biker chic vibe, try adding a leather bracelet to the mix to complete the outfit. If you are going for a more elegant look, try a thin bangle or a bracelet with semi-precious stones. You can also wear multiple bracelets at one time! Try pairing a large, chunky bracelet with a thin, smaller one or try wearing two medium-sized bracelets. Whatever you prefer, never be afraid to be creative and experiment with different styles of bracelets. 

Another important part of your outfit that some people tend to overlook is earrings. The statement earrings trend has shown no signs of slowing down and they can add elegance to any outfit. From studs to big hoop earrings, there are huge selections of earrings anywhere you go.

Combining statement necklaces, bracelets, and earrings into one outfit can be tricky and you may not be able to wear them all with one outfit. Remember that these three must complement each other. If you are wearing a big statement necklace, avoid wearing big earrings and try studs instead and vice versa. Also, try to avoid wearing two huge bracelets on one arm because that can make performing daily tasks difficult. If you have trouble thinking of ways to style jewelry, you can go on Pinterest (or any style blog really) and look for tips and ways that the jewelry is styled.

Jewelry is a great way to add some pizazz to your outfit, but remember to keep your outfit simple when wearing big statement necklaces. Bracelets are a great addition to your outfit, as well. A good tip is to try to match your bracelet with the image of your outfit. Also, earrings are a good way to add sophistication to your outfit. It is important to remember that necklaces, bracelets and earrings must balance out. If one is making a statement, than the others must be subtle.

Hey guys! My name is Nina Moore and I am currently a sophomore at DePauw! I am studying biology and Spanish. I love writing about fashion because, as cliche as it is, it really is one of my passions! Hope you guys like my articles!
Rose Overbey

DePauw '20