It’s the Remix Being Better Than The Original For Me: “Are You Bored Yet?”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Have you ever heard a song, looked it up on Spotify, and then noticed there were a shit ton of remixes? Has this ever caused you to get overwhelmed because what if one of the remixes is better than the original? If you answered yes to both of these questions, then welcome to my world. Over the years I have discovered that sometimes the remix is just better than the original, and because of this I always feel compelled to listen to all the remixes of my favorite songs. I just never want to miss out on a good song, and I don’t want any of you guys to either! “Are You Bored Yet?” is a song by the Wallows (ft. Clairo) and has racked up a lot of remixes. I love this song a lot, but some of the remixes are just better than the original in my opinion. That’s why I am going to rank the different versions of this song so that you guys don’t have to waste your time listening to all the versions of it. 

Big Data Remix

This is definitely my favorite of the remixes. I think it has a stronger beat compared to the other ones, and personally I like having a solid beat in songs. It is like a constant drum tempo of sorts. It sounds pretty similar to the original, but I think it adds a little extra to the song. If you are wanting a little bit of a switch up I would definitely recommend listening to this version of the song. 

Original Version

I feel like there is not much to say about this one except that it is just classic and great. With this song, you can never go wrong just listening to the original. This song is very chill, and in the middle between upbeat and mellow. Seriously if you haven’t already heard this song go listen please. 

Mura Masa Remix

This remix is really different and pretty cool. It is a lot more slowed down and chill than the other remixes of the song. It kind of gives me like soft, twinkly vibes if that makes sense. It is very mellow and airy and sounds very different compared to the original version. It also incorporates a lot of chill instrumental (not acoustic thought) so if you want a version that has some wordless noise, this is the one for you. 

Radio Edit

There is nothing wrong with this remix. It’s a good listen. It sounds almost exactly like the first two that I ranked, so that’s why I put it low on the list. #boring

Sachi of Joy Again Remix

This remix gives me mixed feelings. On the one hand, I somewhat like it because it’s pretty different, but on the other hand, it doesn’t flow super well. There will be parts in the song that sound really great and others that feel offbeat. It is definitely the least enjoyable of the five, so unless you really want to experience the weirdness of the remix I would suggest skipping it. 

My name is Mallory. I am a Senior sociology major at DePauw University. If you knew me you would know I am really into skeletons and love going to music festivals!
Hi, I'm Katherine! I'm an Anthropology major. I am a member of the Honors Scholar Program, as well as a Bonner Scholar.