This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

With the pandemic, the death of incredible figures like Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Kobe Bryant, and Chadwick Boseman, along with many black lives lost like George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and Ahmaud Arbery due to systemic racism and police brutality, I think it is safe to say that 2020 has been a continuous nightmare for most of us. However, for Harry Styles, 2020 has treated him quite well and I believe is the start to an incredible career that lies ahead for him. Last year, he dropped his sophomore album Fine Line, which he describes is summed up as “a 25-year-old navigating through life by having sex and feeling sad.” While songs from the album like “Watermelon Sugar” and “Adore You” have topped the billboard charts, the album itself was the last album of the last decade to top the charts, as well as be the first album of this decade to top the charts and remain its standing for several weeks. As Grammy season is soon approaching us, it is rumored that Styles will be nominated, if not win some Grammy’s of his own.

Along with his massive success in music, Styles is scheduled to lead in an upcoming thriller directed by Olivia Wilde called Don’t Worry Darling, that takes place in California in the 50s where Styles plays Florence Pugh’s husband who is hiding a secret of his own. Back in 2017, the “Watermelon Sugar” singer played a British soldier, fighting in the Battle of France during World War II in his debut film, Dunkirk. This upcoming movie will definitely be a change of pace for him as he is used to running around on stage, sharing his love and support with fans during shows, but hey it’s Harry Styles, and there is no doubt that he will exceed our expectations.

This past week Harry has been named Variety’s ‘Hitmaker of the Year,’ which past winners have been Billie Eilish in 2019 and Kendrick Lamar in 2017, just before both artists swept the Grammy’s. Now I am not jinxing anything, but I am feeling good about this one. More recently, Styles was on the cover of December’s issue of Vogue Magazine, making him the first man to be on the cover solo, and as a fan, I couldn’t be more proud. In this shoot, Harry pushes past gender norms to show that there truly is no fine line as to what is masculine and what is feminine. He does this by wearing both dresses and blazers, ballgown skirts and a suit, all designed by Harris Reed and requested by the Anna Wintour, if that doesn’t tell you truly how impactful Harry’s style is to the fashion industry (ha see what I did there). In one photograph, he is accompanied by his older sister, Gemma as they both sit on a bench as the beautiful grassy hills sit behind them, which reminds us of Styles’s English roots.

To read the December issue Vogue article on Harry Styles, visit the website below.

https://www.vogue.com/article/harry-styles-cover-december-2020

Sara Dabisch

DePauw '22

Hi! I'm a Senior Neuroscience major and Kinesiology minor and I love to listen to music, read books, and paint!
Hi, I'm Katherine! I'm an Anthropology major. I am a member of the Honors Scholar Program, as well as a Bonner Scholar.