This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

In the spirit of March being Women’s History Month, I thought I’d compile a list of songs by some of the most influential women in the music industry. These are just some of the songs that have the ability to make you feel like a powerful, independent woman!

1. “Girl on Fire” by Alicia Keys

This is a classic, inspirational song about how women can achieve amazing things, and it emphasizes the importance of confidence in oneself.

2. “Run the World (Girls)” by Beyoncé

Okay, this is an iconic song that unapologetically empowers women. Beyoncé actually said that this song was a little riskier than her previous music, due to its blending of different types of sounds. When talking about this song, Beyoncé mentioned that she tries to say the types of things that women aren’t always confident enough to say. Not only did she have the confidence to say these things, but she also put in the work to produce an amazing music video by working with multiple choreographers!

3. “Independent Women” by Destiny’s Child

Okay, so since we’re on the topic of Beyoncé, let’s throw it back. Before she was empowering women in her solo career, she was empowering women as a member of Destiny’s Child. This song was originally created for the soundtrack of the 2000s version of Charlie’s Angels.

4. “I Am Woman” by Jordin Sparks

In this catchy song, Jordin Sparks admires the many skills of women and the ways in which we pull through and put our best foot forward despite the craziness of life.

5. “Beautiful” by Christina Aguilera

In this beautiful song (no pun intended ?), Christina Aguilera gives a story of self-confidence and picking yourself up after being criticized by others. This song speaks to the importance of having emotional strength and self-love.

6. “Respect” by Aretha Franklin

Aretha Franklin took this song, which was originally sung by Otis Redding, and turned it into a piece in which a woman demands to be respected. This song was especially impactful because it was released during the civil rights movement and served as a message of increased respect for women activists. She won two Grammys for this motivational song.

These songs were not only impactful when they were released, but they also serve as timeless anthems for women. So, if you’re ever having a rough day or feeling down, listen to some music by these incredible women; they are sure to remind you how amazing and capable you are!

Greta Raser is a sophomore at DePauw University. She is involved in the Environmental Fellows Program, Sustainability Leadership Program, and Timmy Global Health. She is from Cincinnati, OH and enjoys running, hiking, biking and spending time outdoors.
Hi, my name is Bridget! I'm a Peace and Conflict Studies major with Philosophy and Asian Studies minors. I love writing about my friends, personal growth, social justice, and of course, all things Bachelor/Bachelorette!