The Impact of Smiling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

We live in a time where it is easy to find disaster, sickness, and death with a simple click or scroll. The constant conflict causes negativity and can drastically influence your mood. With the world spinning in every which way, I want to provide articles that can make you smile or at least make a positive impact in your day. It’s important!

This week I wanted to share a few fun facts with you about the universal language of smiling!

1. First, did you know that smiling is contagious? It’s a psychological effect called mirroring where humans mirror others during some type of interaction. That’s why people smile back when you smile first! So if you think about it, if you smile at someone and they keep smiling, this could start a positive reaction!

2. It takes 26 muscles to smile. For all of you who love to work out and even those who hate it, can you really resist exercising those 26 muscles when it’s so easy?

3. Smiling makes you look more approachable and friendly. People will gravitate towards you because you will be a positive little human running around!

Smiling is considered to be a universal sign of happiness. I hope you utilize it the next time you feel as though the world is falling apart. I know it’s a small start and isn’t going to solve the bigger issue, but maybe it’s possible to work towards something better with a smile.

Enjoy these pictures of animals smiling to get you to use those muscles!!