“I’m Speaking, Mr. Vice President”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Kamala Harris was born in 1964 to immigrant parents. Now, after tons of accomplishments in the political world, she is now running alongside Joe Biden to be the United State’s vice president. Now you may ask, who is Kamala Harris? And what will make her a good vice president? So below I listed some achievements of hers:

•  As the District Attorney of the City and County of San Francisco she…

• Started a program that gives first-time drug offenders the chance to earn a high school diploma and find employment

• Won a $25-billion settlement for California homeowners hit by the foreclosure crisis

• Support California’s landmark climate change law

• Fought for the Affordable Care Act

• Became part of the battle to win marriage equality for all Californians

• Prosecuted transnational gangs that trafficked in guns, drugs, and human beings.

•  As a Senator in United States Senate she…

• Introduced and cosponsored legislation to raise wages for the working class

• Worked to reform our criminal justice system

• Fought to make healthcare a right for all Americans

• Addressed the issue of substance abuse in the United States 

• Supported veterans and military families in legislation

• Expanded childcare access for the working class

Source : https://www.harris.senate.gov/about

We all know that politicians promise a lot of things that they do not always deliver on, but it is still important to pay attention because in today’s time, it shows what rights are not being taken away or what things will be protected. So to evaluate Kamala Harris’s polices, I decided to list a few of the things she believes in:

• Police reform, but not defunding the police.

• Medicare for All

• Climate change needing to be controlled with governmental policies

• Enacting stricter gun laws

• Women’s rights including abortion

• Undocumented immigrants working towards a citizenship 

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-53770654 

Those are not only the things she stands for, but those are some of the hot topics that are up for debate. When going into the election, focus on the big ideas and what is going to benefit this country and yourself more. And remember to vote! Your voice matters!

Hi! I’m Alicia and I’m a senior at DePauw University! I’m majoring in biology on a pre-health track!
Hi, I'm Katherine! I'm an Anthropology major. I am a member of the Honors Scholar Program, as well as a Bonner Scholar.