This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Hi everyone, happy 2021! It’s a new year, which means new challenges. This semester, my classes are fully in person, which means after 11 months, it is time to head back to college. But to be perfectly candid with you, I am beyond nervous. 

To be honest, I feel like a freshman again. I haven’t been to school in so long that at this point, last year feels more like a dream. I am going back to school in new conditions, with new rules and circumstances. I feel like I have no idea what awaits me on campus. I have been at home, minimizing exposures and outings since March. And now I’m leaving the one home which has essentially become my only constant in the last 11 months. It is by far the most intense change I have had since leaving college last March. It all feels surreal and as a result, sometimes makes the packing experience overwhelming. 

I am nervous. I am worried. I am stressed. But I have tried to give myself a break. We are college kids living through a pandemic. I never thought I would have all online classes that I take from my kitchen. This is a new experience, and feeling all of these emotions is valid. Even things like college, which is my favorite place to be, can feel foreign and scary. But its ok to feel these things, because through the pandemic, I have learned that everything has a silver lining. Despite the nerves, I know getting back on campus will be so much fun. Through safely socializing, being able to feel like a college kid again, and go to in-person classes, I know I will love being at DePauw. To anyone who is in the same boat as me, I know how you feel. Know that you are valid in feeling how you do, but also know that eventually, it will get better. Here’s to a better 2021 :). 

Detroit Vs. Everybody Biochem Major Lover of all things gluten free :)
Hi, I'm Katherine! I'm an Anthropology major. I am a member of the Honors Scholar Program, as well as a Bonner Scholar.