How to Survive Spring Break in Your Hometown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Ok, so midterms are finally over and we can all relax, catch a breath of fresh air, and make the most of our spring break. If you’re going to somewhere warm and sunny, mad props to you, and I’m jealous. However, for those of us stuck in our (still) snowy hometown, we have to be a little more creative with how we have fun.

1. Go places that aren’t near Greencastle

I have been ready to eat lunch at Panera Bread for two months now, and now it’s only a 15 minute drive from my house. I might even follow it up with a long walk through the aisles of Target. Anything could happen.

2. Visit old friends and teachers

If you’re lucky enough to have friends that actually have break the same week as us, there’s nothing like catching up with your gals from high school. Chances are you haven’t seen much of each other since winter break, and you’re all ready to hang out and de-stress.

Then, if you have any high school teachers that you’ve kept in contact with since graduation, pop in to see them! I know it’s almost a rite of passage at my high school to come in to chat with your old teachers, and it’s a chance to see all of those seniors that you wish you’d kept in touch with.

3. Pets!!!

When I get home, I climb out of the car, open the door, and immediately find my cat (sorry, Mom and Dad). Unless you magically attract people who are walking their dogs around campus, you probably haven’t touched a pet since you were last home. Make the most of your time by curling up with your favorite animal and binge-watching the rest of whatever show you need to finish.

4. Get ahead on homework

I’m already regretting saying this, but getting ahead on homework will make you way less stressed when you actually get back to school. I already have an exam, a presentation, and a few homework assignments that I know about, and there will undoubtedly be more. Doing a lot of it over break will make the transition back to classes so much easier.

5. Hang out with your family

If you have younger (or older) siblings that you never get to see, now is the perfect time to talk to them. Younger sibs can be cool and obnoxious all at once, but you might pick up on some of the new lingo that the 8th grade popular crowd is all about (kidding, mostly). Also, parents can be cool. Talk to them. If you have a family get-together for Easter, hang out with your younger cousins and be that cool older cousin who has infinite amounts of life knowledge. What they don’t know won’t hurt them.

Hi, I'm Ashley! I'm currently a senior at DePauw, where I'm majoring in Neuroscience and minoring in Psychology and Computer Science. I'm from Dayton, Ohio, and I love swimming, Marvel movies, and exploring the outdoors!