Style > Beauty

How To Protect Your Skin and Have Spotless Makeup for the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Summer is coming so soon (although we all know that the cold keeps coming back at us in Greencastle!), and everyone is getting so excited for a hot and relaxing summer vacation! However, summer also means that the sun will be affecting our skin more than other seasons. Here are some tips and tricks that you can apply to have healthy skin and get a spotless, sun-kissed makeup look:

1. Instead of using face cleanser every morning, try to use toner.

This will help preserve the hydration levels in your skin and still do the job of cleaning the oil on your face in the morning! (#oilfree) I use Thayers Witch Hazel every morning. I put a little bit of this toner on a cotton pad and wipe my face lightly.

2. Switch from a cream moisturizer to a gel one.

The hotter the weather gets, the more sweat and oil your face will produce. Therefore, the heavy, thick moisturizers that you used all winter will not be suitable for summer because they will clog up your pores and produce acne. Change to a moisturizer that has a gel texture or a light lotion; they will still provide enough moisture for your skin. My all-time favorite for summer is Neutrogena Hydro Boost.

3. Don’t ever forget sunscreen!!!

Sunscreen is an absolute must for your summer morning skincare routine because it helps prevent the sun from breaking your skin’s barriers, which leads to freckles, aging and wrinkles (and ain’t nobody want those things). But the biggest purpose of sunscreen is to prevent SKIN CANCER. FYI, skin cancer is the most common cancer in the U.S. You can use any kind of sunscreen because mostly all of them serve their purpose. But I recommend trying the Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 40 or the Innisfree Perfect UV Protection Cream SPF 50+.

4. Extra but worth it: Do a face mask before you do your makeup in the morning.

This is an extra step to provide your skin with more water, which will help you to have a smooth and long-lasting makeup look throughout the day. FYI, if your skin has enough water, it will produce less oil. Some masks I like are the Innisfree Real Squeeze Mask and the Saborino Morning Face Mask. 

Vy Hoang

DePauw '21

Sophomore Double majors in Economics and Computer Science
Hi, my name is Bridget! I'm a Peace and Conflict Studies major with Philosophy and Asian Studies minors. I love writing about my friends, personal growth, social justice, and of course, all things Bachelor/Bachelorette!