This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Everyone has been there: in the morning, your makeup looks fantastic, but by midafternoon it’s all shiny and melty and all over the inside of your mask. Gross, right? Midday makeup woes shouldn’t ruin your masks, and certainly, no one wants their mask to hinder their fabulous makeup looks.

I tried out a couple of methods while wearing a black mask (to check for transfer). Here’s a list of tricks that worked for me.

Wear a well-fitting mask

The first major tip that I have is to wear a fitting mask. Masks that fit properly are less likely to move around, minimizing the potential for makeup to be disturbed. Masks should fit snugly, should not have gaping bits, and cover the nose and chin. 

Use a good primer

Primers are amazing, multi-purpose tools. They hydrate the skin, even out imperfections, and also hold onto makeup all day. Use any primer you like, but I prefer an oil-free mattifying primer, which helps keep my makeup looking matte.

Use setting powder

Setting powder mattifies makeup and also sets it, making it less transfer resistant. I recommend Elf Perfect Finish HD Translucent Setting Powder. It comes as a packed powder in a translucent finish that blends with any skin tone. It also is matte and focuses. If you have a little extra that you are willing to spend, I recommend the Ben Nye Neutral Set, or any of the other powders made by this line. Ben Nye Cosmetics are used by actors both on the screen and on the stage, and the products are known for their high quality and durability under harsh conditions (think about the heat underneath those stage lights). Bring some setting powder and a brush with you in your purse, and refresh if needed. You can also use a lip brush and apply setting powder over lipstick to help with the transfer, although I recommend tinted balm instead, as lipstick stains more easily.

Use setting spray

Setting spray works as a final seal, locking in makeup and making it more resistant to sweat and moisture. Different setting sprays have different finishes. Some create a more glowy look while others are mattify and smooth. I like to use Ben Nye Final Seal, which pairs with the setting powder. Another option that works well with a smaller budget is the Wet N’ Wild Photofocus Matte Finish Setting Spray

I hope these tips and trips allow you to go out there and slay your favorite makeup looks, even with your mask! 

Emily Scharf

DePauw '24

Emily is a vocal performance major at DePauw University! She loves all things creative, fun, and musical.
Hi, I'm Katherine! I'm an Anthropology major. I am a member of the Honors Scholar Program, as well as a Bonner Scholar.