How to Cope with the Idea of Graduating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

As a senior at my university I am constantly thinking of my life post-graduation. The ending of this chapter in my life is bringing so much uncertainty. What do I want to do with my life? Where do I want to live? What is non-negotiable for me in the future? Who do I want to be in the “real world”? Questions as such can be overwhelming and the job hunt (or rather job rejection) can be even more daunting. As I navigate this uncharted territory of my life I have developed some habits to get myself through the mental trap it can create. 

Talk with Fellow Seniors

You are not alone! Every other senior is in the same boat and trying to figure themselves out too. Talk to your friends about their uncertainties and yours. There is always comfort in someone who can relate to what you are dealing with. Connect over struggles, but also strategies to find jobs, resume tips and interview guidelines. 

Live in the Moment

While you are dealing with all the decision making don’t forget to slow down and be present. You don’t want to miss out on your last semester on campus because you are stressing too much about the future. Soak in the benefits of being a college student while you can, because I guarantee we will look back and miss these days that we get to live with all our girlfriends, screw around in the library and stuff our faces with the food from the dinning hall. 

Don’t Put Too Much Pressure on Yourself

I have to keep reminding myself that I don’t have to have a job by the time graduation rolls around. If I move home for a few months and figure it out, so be it. If I pick up a part-time job to save money before moving for my new job, so be it. If I change my mind completely about what I want to do, so be it! We don’t have to have all the answers for our lives right now. Reassure yourself about the decisions you are making based on your values. You get to decide and there is no timeline you have to comply to. Take your time and find what’s best for you. 

Don’t Give Up

Rejection is hard. Trust me, I know. I wake up every morning with at least one rejection email. My dad texted me the phrase “Refuse to Lose” after I told him about my experience of trying to find a job. So, keep at it. It will happen for you; it is just a matter of when. 

Hi, I'm Rose Overbey! I'm a senior at DePauw University, majoring in English writing. I'm a passionate non-fiction writer with interests in upcycling, crafts, fashion, and the environment.